HELP!!! Dead batt! Stranded!! mayday mayday!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After stopping to get gas, the batt just is dead!

CLICK CLICK CLICK!

Crap....

I've tried for the last two hours to get it started via jump. I've got positive on the little connection on the drivers side (under the cover) and negative to the chassis/roller.

it tries for about .3 seconds... RRRR click click (or just dead).

Any ideas!!? It's stuck at a gas station about 2 miles from me. I don't know how the batt went from working perfectly to dead w/o warning!?

HELP VCA'ers
smile.gif

MM

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO It's the battery, jumping won't start it unless you are using a heavy duty source. If it does start by jumping you might have idling problems.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everything looked good. it's like the batt is completely discharged.

I thought about doing a battery swap right there, but the shop put my lugs on so friggin right I couldn't get them off w/ that little stock piece that comes w/ the RT's jack.

Gearing up with my HD battery charger and my tools.... heading out in a few minutes.

MM

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hook up the jumper cables for about 10 minutes while the other car is running, then give it a try. That is the only way I could get mine started when my battery died. Other than that, look for a big truck, mercedes, cop car, or some other car with a robust electric system to give you a jump. Good luck.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's clicking, it means the starter motor doesn't have the juice to start the car. You will need to let it charge for at least a little while. Like was suggested, leave it hooked up jumped for a while and then try to start it. It will most likely NOT be a good idle... so you will have to keep the RPM's up by giving it gas or it will stall on you.

Once you get back you will likely need a new battery.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After puting a HD charger on it, it still didnt have enough juice to turn over!

I had the car towed, insurance covers it. Tony, the tow guy.. was AWESOME. he has 15 years experience.. and it showed. Pulled the car up smooth as silk.

He brought it to my house, and unloaded it in my garage. She's safe n' sound. I'll pull the bat tomorrow and do a voltage check just to make sure the battery was the culprit.

Uggg... what a day. 4 hours later, i'm finaly home.

James

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">MM- I have had similar battery experiences. Twice it was caused by loose/shorted battery plates inside the battery. You can sink a lot of current into a short so jumping won't work. One occasion was caused by too much exuberance in a CJ-2 in the mountains. The impact of bouncing around seemed to put it over the edge. The other case was caused by who knows what. Take a voltage reading on the battery if you can. Each cell is ~2 volts. In my experience I could not get above 10 volts even on a charger. I don't know if this is a valid diagnostic or not, but that is what I observed and the official diagnosis was shorted plates.</FONT c>

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mad Max:

Sounds like you got the vehicle safely on a rollback; just wanted to mention that Makara has the idea when he says find a vehicle with a robust charging system. I drive a crown vic with the performance package option and have jump started numerous cars with it. Haven't found one yet that the 130 amp. alternator and 1100 CCA (cold) battery will not light up! Just a friendly suggestion.....

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunetly, we've already sold our truck... so we had an eclipse and jeep at our disposal
smile.gif

It's home, but i've ran across a new problem. When the shop put my wheels on, they put them on w/ a impact wrench and looks like they over tightend them
frown.gif

Always something...

My 250lb/tq impact wouldn't budge them, so i'm letting them soak and going to buy a 500lb/tq version tomorrow (always an excuse to buy new tools LOL)

MM

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max,
Use a breaker bar and jack handle for extra torque.I had a similar problem when I had my stripes painted on.The car sat for so long that the battery discharged.I couldnt jump it from the post,I had to remove the wheel and jump it at the battery.Strangely enough,that was all it took.

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc