HELP! Engine Compartment Clean Up/Detailing

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first Viper - red '98 RT/10, 5200 mi. The car is generally clean, but I think it sat around alot(hence low miles). I've only had it five days, so haven't been able to do much yet. Spent most of the time cleaning and waxing the paint...almost done!

The engine compartment shows the effects of sitting the most. Overall, not very clean or shiny where its supposed to be. The air box(?) and the master cylinder/vaccum boost cylinder both show signs of surface rust. Waxing will not fix, as the rust has eaten some of the paint. Fender wells as just dirty, and the engine parts where the aluminum is supposed to show (valve covers, for example) do not shine....and, I could go on but don't want to bore you.

Are there any general tips for how to make this area look more presentable without having to replace some of the parts?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:dunno:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best bet on the metal parts is to get a fine grit sand paper and stretch out those arm and shoulder muscles. Sand it down and polish it up using a metal polish. As for the painted parts, your just gonna have to sand them and prep em to be repainted or powder coated. It's gonna take some time and effort to get it back to where you will be happy with the condition.

You can use the standard Armoral products in the engine compartment on plastics and the wheel well tops, just be sure to let it dry completely before you drive off... wouldnt hurt to go over it with a dry one to get the excess off too.

Hope this helps.

:usa:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, will do. Will be posting pictures of the car as I get more of it into shape. Looks like lots of work/elbow grease to get it where I want it....where I think it should be.

:2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, checked it out. Before I run and buy more detailing products, though I do like Meguiar's products though.

Two questions I have:
1- after looking again at my engine compartment. For the rubber hoses, what do i put on them to clean and shine them. Can I use any Armoral type product, or are some not good for rubber (makes them deteriorate faster)?

2- For the unpainted areas on the valve covers and other similar areas, what can I do to make them shine again. This was a Florida car and I can see the effects of being there for nearly 10 years. I didn't want to lightly sand them, but what about a top quality metal polish like Flitz or similar? Will that renew the shine or do I need to do something more abbrasive first?

Thanks very much.

Peter
98 RT/10, Red

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Armorall on my hoses with no obvious ill effects.
There is an excellent valve cover refinishing write up in the How-Tos section. Check it out.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, checked it out. Before I run and buy more detailing products, though I do like Meguiar's products though.

Two questions I have:
1- after looking again at my engine compartment. For the rubber hoses, what do i put on them to clean and shine them. Can I use any Armoral type product, or are some not good for rubber (makes them deteriorate faster)?

This is great under the hood. Spray everywhere.

Exterior Trim Coating G13415 Product Information

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang