HELP! Have to Take Off Heater Airbox Cover!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to make sure I don't miss anything (or break anything). Taking off the heater airbox cover and want to make sure there are only three bolts/screws AND all it does is lift off and not affect anything when coming off.

I circled the screw in photo 1:
You must be registered for see images attach

And, circled the two bolts in photo 2:

Are there any other bolts/screws/clips that I didn't see? And, does it just lift off as you'd expect a cover to do?:dunno:

Thanks very much.:2tu:

And, yes, I know there are still some rusty clips but I'm getting to those!

Peter

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^Simultaneous mouse clicks.

There is also a screw inside the box in the large hole.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually saw the screw inside the box...its one that I replaced with stainless steel.

So, that's it, just those four screws/bolts?

Just it just lift off, nothing attached inside or any gaskets I need to look out for?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were pretty good about not hiding any bolts on these, so you should be good. My heater just started sending a little puff of sweet smell into the cabin the other day, so I'm about to embark on a heater core replacement. Pain in the a$$... But at least not as bad as most other cars I've owned.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of it off the car? Sometime this winter I make take off some parts and paint them. I was thinking about painting this, so it's nice to know how it comes off so I won't have any surprises. :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just remove the bolts and lift off. Simple, only takes a minute. You wnat to removed the airbox when doing spark plugs, valve covers etc.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all! Ted, never thought about the spark plug replacement, but that is a great tip I have to remember. The engine compartment "cleanup" is coming along well and almost done. :D

I will take pictures of the cover removal and post when done.

Getting the car ready for TatorToga, so still have a little time.

Appreciate it!:headbang:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the HVAC Housing removal process...

Remove these 4 screws (2 x 8mm and 2 x 10mm)...

You must be registered for see images

There were special washers on the 8mm screws...

The area of the viper under the HVAC Housing...

The underside of the HVAC Housing...

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, that was great, thanks very much!:headbang:

I know it seems like a "dah" question, but I would rather ask those who know than be surprised (and unhappy)!

By the way, what do you mean by "special washer"? I have been replacing all the rusted screws/bolts with stainless steel hex head screws and SS washers. Am I creating a problem by not using the factory washer? Seems like a pretty straight forward washer, except the SS is a bit thinner.

I have basically replaced everything with SS hex fasteners both for looks and non-rusting. My car spent its entire life with original owner in Boca Raton and the humidity combined with only light driving created lots of surface rust on most of the screws/bolts in the engine compartment.

Again, thanks for the help!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, what do you mean by "special washer"?

I don't exactly know what it is, but as you can see in the picture, there is something that looks like goo on the threads. I've removed a lot of screws/bolts from the viper and I've never seen this substance. It is flexible, but not sticky...might have something to do with protecting the air flow :dunno:.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread would have been very helpful yesterday, ended up changing plugs without removing it. Thanks for the photos LifeIsGood.

Nick

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you ever take the heater motor off there is a phillips screw hiding under the weather strip just to the left of the rubber hose in this pic ...

ELW98

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LIFEISGOOD........

One of your heater hoses at the diverter valve is about to come off! (according to you photo)happened to my genII also,very common. Change to spring type clamps(as on your heater core inlet/outlet hoses.

Ernie

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, thanks...I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

LIFEISGOOD........

One of your heater hoses at the diverter valve is about to come off! (according to you photo)happened to my genII also,very common. Change to spring type clamps(as on your heater core inlet/outlet hoses.

Ernie

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, got the heater box off last night and began the cleaning and repainting of the (what one might call) firewall pieces of the body.

Thanks to all, heater box cover came off easily! I took pictures, but honestly, they are the same basic pics except mine show a much dirtier cover than Baz!!:D

As with many of the other engine compartment fasteners, I am replacing the cover bolts/screws with SS hex head. I like the clean look and it isn't as "in your face" as using chrome!

My next issue is what to do with the oxidation/pitting of the valve covers. I do not want to powder coat them, as that means I also need to do the intake manifold and, honestly, I do not want to take on that expense right now. I am going to ask Chuck if he has a set of used (not oxidized) covers he can let go of.

The other option is to pick up Sean Roe's polished valve cover overlays. They are nice, not too expensive and go nicely with the SS fastener conversion.

I'm registered to show the car at TatorToga in a few weeks. Having shown Jaguars in my past, I know my RT is very far from show quality (though nice). I just can't see having my car there with an engine compartment that isn't even presentable. Hence, all the detail work with SS and painting some black pieces that had surface rust.:eater:

Thanks for all the comments, love this site and how helpful the members are!:2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, none left on the screws, but some still on the screw hole. Besides, my car never sees rain, so less of a concern for me.

Thanks for the heads up.:headbang:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm registered to show the car at TatorToga in a few weeks. Having shown Jaguars in my past, I know my RT is very far from show quality (though nice). I just can't see having my car there with an engine compartment that isn't even presentable. Hence, all the detail work with SS and painting some black pieces that had surface rust.:eater:

Don't sweat it...nobody looks at the red Vipers at these shows. :rolaugh: But seriously, your Viper looks good. Have you considered getting your valve covers/intake powder coated? Dan at ViperSpecialty offers powder coating services. I may send my covers/intake to him soon.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that's because they can't see past the glare from the yellow Vipers...blinding!

Actually, I have considered it but just not in the budget right now. Besides, my manifold is in really nice shape, just the two (actually one) valve cover. Maybe I can find one to replace the passenger side.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm a bit obsessive (obsessive, obsessive) and that is why I can't stand looking at a messy, rusty looking engine compartment. Think I've got it to a point where it is presentable, for now, that is all I want for Tatortoga.:eater:

I'll post some pics once I get it back together and cleaned up.

Thanks....think you'll make it up there?
:dunno:
Peter

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may never see rain, but don't you ever wash your car? Put the goo on the threads. Dodge didn't put it there because they had extra cash.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All sheet metal screws went in the trash of my viper.... |Drilled the holes out a little then put in riv-nuts. used SS button head alan bolts after...

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point on the goo....do it after the Saratoga show. Meanwhile, I do like the look of the SS hex head screws now holding down the airbox cover. As soon as I clean up the engine compartment, I'll post a couple of pics. Should look nice with the MGW oil filler cap and dip stick handle.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LIFEISGOOD........

Ernie

Thanks! Took care of it/them yesterday with worm clamps...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4