HELP!!! - Loosing Gas Mileage On My Daily Driver

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I am having a problem. For some reason I used to get about 370 - 400 Miles to the tank on my daily but now I am getting around 300 to the tank. Anyone know what could be causing this? The oil has yet to be changed. That is happening tomorrow but that can not be the reason ay? I thought maybe because it was cold and I am using a lot of heat but does that justify 1/4 of the tank? Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanking you in advance

Keith

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plug wires is a safe place to start..i need to change mine ASAP & i can notice worse gas mileage as well

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dirty injectors maybe? how many miles on the car Keith?

It may sound silly but get an aftermarket intake for the car. My friend had a civic awhile ago and when he put an aftermarket intake on it he noticed quite a significant fuel economy increase.

That and stay out of VTEC!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
370 - 400 miles on one tank of gas in a viper???!!! Is it all highway driving in 6th gear? I do not know anyone that has gotten that kind of mileage on a Viper driven daily around town and on the highway. Are you sure that there is a V10 under the hood?

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you were getting 400 miles a tank I think something must have been wrong then. I get about 200-250. The tank is only about 19 gal.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dirty injectors maybe? how many miles on the car Keith?

It may sound silly but get an aftermarket intake for the car. My friend had a civic awhile ago and when he put an aftermarket intake on it he noticed quite a significant fuel economy increase.

That and stay out of VTEC!

Hum... An Idea. I spoke to Chuck and he told me that in the winter they put a filler in the gas and as a result about 15% of the gas mileage is lost. Anyone know anything about this filler?

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
370 - 400 miles on one tank of gas in a viper???!!! Is it all highway driving in 6th gear? I do not know anyone that has gotten that kind of mileage on a Viper driven daily around town and on the highway. Are you sure that there is a V10 under the hood?

Nope it is the Civic but I did make it to Boston from NJ with only buring UNDER 1/2 of a tank and that was 225 miles.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oxygenated (sp) gas

Worse crap to come out in years.......next to the C6 ofcourse. :D

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is not the gas.

colder weather= denser air = more oxygen = more fuel = more power- notice your civic grew slightly bigger balls in the cold weather? :)

also, colder weather = slower warmups = logner injector cycles until warmup = more fuel used.

its normal.

alex
few cars

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't even monitor gas mileage. In any vehicle. One less thing to worry about if you ask me.

I also always call home & let my wife know I'm on the way. Some things you may be better off not knowing.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"probably the extra additives to lower the freezing point of the gas."

No, it's some thing they put in during the cold months in an attempt to cut down on smog.

Gasoline might freeze on Neptune but I don't think it's an issue in many places on Earth.

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey f355, i also live in nj, and experience this about this time every year. the fuel is reformulated for winter and it affects our fuel economy negatively. i am quite aware of this as i run 100 or so limousines and fuel economy really impacts my bottom line.

mr2jzgte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check for: Tire pressure, wires, spark plugs, clogged injectors, fuel & air filter, and even the type of gas used.

Venom500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper usually gets up to 10 mpg. As big medicine stated: Some things you may be better off not knowing. My thoughts exactly.
:D

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey f355, i also live in nj, and experience this about this time every year. the fuel is reformulated for winter and it affects our fuel economy negatively. i am quite aware of this as i run 100 or so limousines and fuel economy really impacts my bottom line.

Sounds good. I feel a lot better now that it seems normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960