Help!!!My 94 rt10 exhaust is killing me

PurpleGORILLA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the long first post. I recently purchased a 94 RT10 with a Roe Supercharger and alcohol injection (over 600whp). Well, the car drives great and has a lot of power..But one thing is killing me, the exhaust drone. The car comes with [*****] Headers and exhaust system according to the previous owner who also is one of my acquaintances... After owning the car for a week. I got fed up and pull the sills out to see what I can do to improve the quietness..

The [*****] exhaust system looks to be well made for power (tubular headers, with straight through SS 3 inches pipings and 3 inch muffler (looks like magnaflow). But I am willing to sacrify some power for drivability.
I ended up cutting some pipings out of the exhaust system and weld a set of high flow Cats and Resonators. So far, it has lower the sound down a bit but the drones are still there. It is worst around 1200 to 2000 RPM. So now I am down to 2 options. I am very mechanically inclined and own a Tig Welder. So experimenting with the system is not a problem but I dont' want to waste my time nor money chasing something that I can't achieve. So now I have 2 options.

1. Yank everything out from the cat back and resort to 2 1/2 pipings and live with being slow but sane.
2. Yank out the Magnaflow and put on a Borla (in which I recently bought, looks like it will be slightly quiter since it has more baffles inside)

My question is..how loud is a stock system..I dont' want to keep ordering stuff for the car when the ultimate results are..The loudness and drones will always be there. This is my very first viper so I have no idea.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock system is not to loud and very restrictive. If you put on a set of stock cats it would probably do the trick. It will also hold much more heat in the sill, which is not good.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock system is not to loud and very restrictive. If you put on a set of stock cats it would probably do the trick. It will also hold much more heat in the sill, which is not good.

You should not use stock cats with Roe charger!

Use high flow cats and a set of good mufflers.
Mine is also SC and 1993. Loud as h3ll, so I know what you talk about.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Roe High-Flow Cats and Roe Racing Mufflers. I agree 100% that the car is TOO loud. I have been trying to figure this out myself. I spoke with Chuck Tator for advice and he says that most people end up putting the stock setup back on. I do not want to do that as it is extremely restrictive, the cabin and sid sill heat will increase DRAMATICALLY. It does seem as though there should be a happy medium.....

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should not use stock cats with Roe charger!

Use high flow cats and a set of good mufflers.
Mine is also SC and 1993. Loud as h3ll, so I know what you talk about.

Correct, sorry did not factor that in.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Roe High-Flow Cats and Roe Racing Mufflers. I agree 100% that the car is TOO loud. I have been trying to figure this out myself. I spoke with Chuck Tator for advice and he says that most people end up putting the stock setup back on. I do not want to do that as it is extremely restrictive, the cabin and sid sill heat will increase DRAMATICALLY. It does seem as though there should be a happy medium.....

I also have the Roe system, I do not think it is to loud. It is all perspective. My Ram is MUCH louder, but since it shoots out the back rather than next to your ear it seems better.

One thing that is not perspective though, going catless can be a stinky situation. My Ram smells bad, I could not imagine being in a RT without cats since I have done it to my truck.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe look into Random Technology Metallic Cats. That may help cut down sound levels without too much restriction. Any Gen one cars out there with Random Tech Cats that can elaborate?

"Longest Recorded Signature in the VCA"
-------------------------------------------
70 Charger R/T 440
99 Viper R/T 10 Intake, Exhaust
01 Sears Lawn Tractor 300 HP, Belanger Headers, Eradispeed Rotors
04 K-Mart Barbecue 30,000 BTU with High Flo Metallic Cats
06 Frigidare Air Conditioner 250,000 CFM, Cold Air Induction Mods
04 Amana Refridgerator Sub Zero, Nitrogen 250 Shot
03 Toro Weedwacker,175 Rotor Horsepower,12:1 Compression,Sodium Filled Single
Valve

05 Stihl Leaf Blower 280Hp, Forged Internals, Single Turbo Intercooler,
7,000 CFM on only 9lbs. of Boost

04 Husqvarna Chain Saw, Dyno'ed 400hp/420tq at the tree, titanium blade,
Sapphire/Ruby cover over Gold cognac handle, Runs only on Cam2 100 octane

06 Crappy Seaside Condo: Has Cracks and Holes in Sheetrock, Hardwood Floor
with splinters(I had to pay more for those), Roof with holes, Leaky Faucet,
and a POS ceiling fan that crashed down on my head when I was sleeping,
condo sold to me by some character named Tiger Keith, made me think I
was getting a bargain at the auction. If I ever come across this guy I am
going to beat him with what's left of the POS ceiling fan. Let me
know if any of you see him.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may help cut down sound levels without too much restriction. Any Gen one cars out there with Random Tech Cats that can elaborate?

SAY WHAT????? :D

(No cats and 3" pipes...)

I should have known better if I knew you were going to see this!!!
Personally I'm okay with no cat and mufflers on the road riding my friends car for about 1 hour. Longer than that the usual sidepipe headache sets in.

For you Mr. L, I know you like to soak up every minute listening to the straight pipes.

"Longest Recorded Signature in the VCA"
-------------------------------------------
70 Charger R/T 440
99 Viper R/T 10 Intake, Exhaust
01 Sears Lawn Tractor 300 HP, Belanger Headers, Eradispeed Rotors
04 K-Mart Barbecue 30,000 BTU with High Flo Metallic Cats
06 Frigidare Air Conditioner 250,000 CFM, Cold Air Induction Mods
04 Amana Refridgerator Sub Zero, Nitrogen 250 Shot
03 Toro Weedwacker,175 Rotor Horsepower,12:1 Compression,Sodium Filled Single
Valve

05 Stihl Leaf Blower 280Hp, Forged Internals, Single Turbo Intercooler,
7,000 CFM on only 9lbs. of Boost

04 Husqvarna Chain Saw, Dyno'ed 400hp/420tq at the tree, titanium blade,
Sapphire/Ruby cover over Gold cognac handle, Runs only on Cam2 100 octane

06 Crappy Seaside Condo: Has Cracks and Holes in Sheetrock, Hardwood Floor
with splinters(I had to pay more for those), Roof with holes, Leaky Faucet,
and a POS ceiling fan that crashed down on my head when I was sleeping,
condo sold to me by some character named Tiger Keith, made me think I
was getting a bargain at the auction. If I ever come across this guy I am
going to beat him with what's left of the POS ceiling fan. Let me
know if any of you see him.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added Dynomax mufflers that were about 6.75"OD and +20" long to my catless '94 RT/10 ten years ago. The bigger the muffler case OD (+6" in this example) the more sound control you're going to get. Same for using as long a muffler case as you can fit.

Next consideration is what type of packing does that muffler manufacturer use? I think Dynomax uses CRF (continuous roving fiberglass?). A local guy who's been into mufflers as a business most of his life praises the packing in Dynomax mufflers, but has nothing good to say about the packing material in Borla mufflers for example. Other muffler manufacturers may use CRF as well..

Check for CFM ratings on mufflers you might buy. Just about any of the Dynomax welded mufflers above 2.5"ID will flow enough CFM to not hurt HP while quieting your car down.

It's a challenge when you've only got the sidesill length to install a muffler in..

I just use Dynomax, so that's the only brand's specs I'm familiar with.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Dynomax Bullit's, dont go that way. VERY loud.
If FE 065 had different type of Dynomax, that might work.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a guy in the New England Club that has a Roe Supercharger and converted his GTS to sidepipes. He had the same problem you have, the drone was driving him crazy. What he ended up doing was using the side exhaust upgrade for the SRT10. I think it was a Corsa System, but not 100% sure. You can contact him directly by e-mail [email protected] or contact me [email protected] and I will give you his cell phone.

R

RTED

I have Borla headers, with Roe HF cats and exhaust system. The Headers increased the decibal rate to the point that I could not handle it. I called Sean at Roe racing and inquired about using the VORTEX Silencer Cone (jegs.com) which is used on racing applications to lower the decibals. Sean indicated that he used the Vortex cones himself on his side exhaust and was happy with the results. I purchased the cones and installed them in the muffler just before the turnout. The results....much better, quiter, tolerable with no noticable loss in power. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
P

PurpleGORILLA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Borla headers, with Roe HF cats and exhaust system. The Headers increased the decibal rate to the point that I could not handle it. I called Sean at Roe racing and inquired about using the VORTEX Silencer Cone (jegs.com) which is used on racing applications to lower the decibals. Sean indicated that he used the Vortex cones himself on his side exhaust and was happy with the results. I purchased the cones and installed them in the muffler just before the turnout. The results....much better, quiter, tolerable with no noticable loss in power. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info..I might have to try that..At least that looks like it is removeable. Did they help with the drone?

OP
OP
P

PurpleGORILLA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a guy in the New England Club that has a Roe Supercharger and converted his GTS to sidepipes. He had the same problem you have, the drone was driving him crazy. What he ended up doing was using the side exhaust upgrade for the SRT10. I think it was a Corsa System, but not 100% sure. You can contact him directly by e-mail [email protected] or contact me [email protected] and I will give you his cell phone.

Yes, I have heard a lot of people recommending the Corsa system..Just as Dave R stated earlier, they only make it for '96 on up so it would be a custom system to fit it in a 94.

From the look at most of the responses, it looks like I am not the only one going through this problem. I really want to be able to drive this Viper a lot more...But after an hour, I get tire of fighting it..

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, let me chime in. I have a 94 with stock exhaust and am fixing to change it to TNT headers, Random Tech Hiflow cats and Dynomax mufflers. I will let you know how it turns out. Also, I recently took the cats out of my stock system and noticed a difference in noise as well as cabin and engine temerature. As for the drone though, we all know that we all hear things differently and have different tastes. I have a video clip of the car at speed with the stock setup. I will take another video afterwards and post the difference so you can hear it once it is done....

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Solution is FREE at McDonalds. On the way home from VOI, I discovered that a torn up piece of napkin from McDonalds strategically placed in the ear canal solves all noise issues. :D

R

RTED

The cones reduced the sound level as well as the volume of the drone, however, the drone is still there. In 5th gear cruising on the highway, the drone is hardly an issue, in 6th gear.....the drone is very evident.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62