HELP!! Need your opinions on modifying my 96 or buying newer

Da1cop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT-10 with 28k. Here is the question...I want to do some upgrades(Turbo,exhaust,rear gears ect). I 'm thinking I should save my money and do upgrades to a newer vehicle with less miles. What do you think????

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are mroe than a few Vipers out there that are proven reliable well after 100k miles. If you get a newer Viper with a warranty, you may not want to mod and void warranty. Put a twin turbo on that 96 and let the builder guarantee his work. That is JMHO. Good Luck.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think miles are an issue with a viper motor. Do it with what you got. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like your current car, keep it. If you buy a newer one, you'll have to spend more money just to get into the car to begin with. Milage isn't too much of an issue on the Vipers as most of us know (even though I don't yet own one), as long as they are taken care of. I'd prefer to mod a car I know about, then buying someone else's car that you know nothing about.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if you can put Turbos on a '96 RT.
Do whatever YOU feel like. Miles shouldn't be an issue, especially if you are modding.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a former gen 1 owner, you might want to consider going to a Gen II car just to get the windows. :cool: I enjoyed my Gen I for 70k miles in all kinds of weather, and I have to say that I greatly enjoy one less item in the trunk and the hassle of putting the windows on and off when it rained, etc. I know, thats just one feature. The only negative to a Gen II as compared to a Gen I that I can think of is the engine mapping: I much prefer the instant throttle response of the Gen I over the delayed turbo-like thrust of the Gen II. This wouldn't be an issue if you are planning the mods that are contemplating.

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the exact same dilemna. Love my car, but wouldn't mind windows. I am thinking of going the Roe way rather than turbos.