You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
So that is how my front bumper used to look !:D

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not sell this unless you must.
I agree
If you need the cash, hold on to it and take out a title loan with Pen Fed for 1.49% -
They should give you low to mid thirties on a title loan.
It was not long ago that Barrett Jackson said that cars like yours will be 100K cars
Not too far off, I think 5-7 years.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"100K 5-7 years" LMAO, wow...Barrett Jackson recently sold a 2002 Graphite (just like mine, haha only mine looks much nicer) for $70,000, I'd be lucky to get $40k out here...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree
If you need the cash, hold on to it and take out a title loan with Pen Fed for 1.49% -
They should give you low to mid thirties on a title loan.
It was not long ago that Barrett Jackson said that cars like yours will be 100K cars
Not too far off, I think 5-7 years.

LOL..the hopes and dreams of a BW owner.
That's what everyone said five years ago when I bought mine.
Now I can't even find a buyer who has two nickels to rub together and mine is as good as the OP's with slightly more miles.

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edward or AFL,

Can you please post some pics of the full length of the car with the BBS wheels. I cannot find any pictures of a B/W GTS with Gen 2 ACR BBS wheels on it, thanks.

I bet it looks awesome!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The bottom line is, right now, the GTS's don't command a lot of money. I just bought a prestine 98' with 18k miles and a killer exhaust for $36k in May, and that was peak season. To sell a B/W GTS now with summer being over, is going to be hard, unless it's the right price. These things sit when priced above $42k, they just don't move. It has nothing to do with what the car is worth, it's all in what people are willing to pay, and the fact is we are heading into a possible double-dip recession. I just came from a car show yesterday and every Tom, Dick, and Harry was selling his car for unbelievably low prices. (i.e. 1994 Vette $6400 OBO) I say keep the car, but if you absolutely have to sell it, it needs to be priced to sell.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That car is extremely well-kept and let's face it: It's the first year and most desirable color.

It will take a certain individual to lay down serious coin on it, but if that person exists, he will be at Barrett Jackson.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent, just get back to me!

BTW, the Auctions are not good to Vipers aside from the one time B-J a few years ago and the lady from Grand Juction, Colorado. Certain brands like the Viper and Saleens, etc. are just never going to see good numbers at auction unless a paradyme change takes place in those specific communities and their desireability.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent, just get back to me!

BTW, the Auctions are not good to Vipers aside from the one time B-J a few years ago and the lady from Grand Juction, Colorado. Certain brands like the Viper and Saleens, etc. are just never going to see good numbers at auction unless a paradyme change takes place in those specific communities and their desireability.

Interestingly enough,

Vipers are getting more money at auction, like the Barret Jackson, than everyone is selling private....lol....makes you think maybe were all pricing them because of personal problems and not what the car is worth.

Here are some links to sales at Barrett Jackson for the 1996 GtS, you'll notice the earliest one was in 2010 which in my opinion was a worst time to sell a car as it was closer to the recession then we are now. There has not been another for sale since at that auction.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/archivecarlist.aspx

I always thought auctions were a great place to get a great deal?..it looks like now we private sellers are turning the tables around. I wonder why? Maybe we have debts to pay,change of mind, for whatever reason, you dont like the car anymore or want something different, girlfreindwife doesn't like it, life changes,,etc...all those reasons plus I am sure many more, have brought the prices of all vehicles lower. Yet, at auction ppl are still willing to pay top dollar for one....I can't figure it out realy, other than, keep the price of these babys where they belong and if someone wants one they will have to pay. Its either that or get a vette or stang for a lower price. where the prices are now, you can get a Viper cheaper than a vette or stang or many sports cars, not supercars, sports cars people, which is where your pricing these cars. I know I can't stop the world from going around but, I would not sell my Vipers for less than what they are worth. Not what you guys are willing to give them away for because of your mishaps in life. Im sticking to my guns and would rather keep my cars then give them away. I wish Lambo ,ferrari,porsche,Gt40,ZR1 and the rest of the supercar people would price thier cars as we do when they sell , that way I can get a lambo for the price of a Viper or vette or stang. Unfortunatly they are not stupid enought to give their cars away as we are doing.
Just my opinion, I have another post here that I went into more detail on this and was laughed at by ViperJohn for my comments. Each to their own Pal. If you don't believe in what you own, then maybe you should give it away, as it is not worthy in your hands, maybe it will be in anothers. If your ever looking to unload your car, I would be willing to pay 6500 for it. Let me know. Afterall its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it right?

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't laugh at you Slither just tried to inject a dose of today's reality.
You are indicating what you think and hope and feel the car should be worth in todays market.
As many others have noted....it's just not.
Using BJ as a barometer of any real world values is faulty logic.

Price the car at 2 million if it makes you happy, but if you actually want to sell it..it's a 45K car on its best day.
Since I am selling one and you are not I probably have a better feel for the market.
I've had guys offer me 32K with a straight face. Reality can be ugly.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't laugh at you Slither just tried to inject a dose of today's reality.
You are indicating what you think and hope and feel the car should be worth in todays market.
As many others have noted....it's just not.
Using BJ as a barometer of any real world values is faulty logic.

Price the car at 2 million if it makes you happy, but if you actually want to sell it..it's a 45K car on its best day.
Since I am selling one and you are not I probably have a better feel for the market.

i agree that B J might not be the perfect place to market your vehicle,but, if the cars are getting those prices at the acution, take it there.
You say the Market dictates?...lol...the market is US. Us people, who are the market. there is no
"market" out there. The Place you call the market is us sellers. We are the market !! We set the stage for what something is worth !! We make up the market. Comon Jon. You know that. If thats the case then why doesn't the other supercars price their cars that way? You know why? , because they won't give their cars away like we are. Go offer a Lambo seller 50K for his/hers 1996 and up car and see what they tell you. Go offer a ferrari owner 35K for his/hers 1996 car which does not hold a candle to the Viper that year or any year for that matter. Which Lambo can perform like the 1996 Viper in those years?...which one?...none. That is why the Viper in that year and all years until now (2013) has stood alone in the Hp wars and has been chased ever since. Its been the leader all these years in what other companies have to follow and try and beat. Until 2013, but hats another topic. Were talking a 1996 Viper GTS which took the world by a storm in that year (as a pace car I may add) and now its priced way below its competition?!! Comon, only one way that can happen is that we the people who own them disrespect that fact and price them to fit our realtion with them. Please do not tell me these cars are worth what they are right now as that is a false statement. the are priced where they are becasue we the people who make up the market have done so and should be ashamed of ourselves.
One of the biggest impacts in Car history (1996 Viper GTS) and it gets this for recognition. Too bad !!

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try to change the supply side of the equation as much as you want but in the end, if the demand isn't there the price will drop accordingly. Sad that Vipers don't command more, but that's the reality of today's market. If the demand was really there you'd see the price rise...

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a very recent buyer of a 96 B/W, the only reason he got close to what he wanted is because I wanted a 96 B/W and a 96 B/W only…. In my case it was supply in demand… In order for our cars to be worth more, there will have to be a line of people wanting to buy them.. It’s allot like houses… I am hoping that when the market turns around, our cars (and all other classic cars) will go up in value..
But that’s just my 2 pennies….

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubts about the Blue and White Gen 2's place in history, but sadly doesn't change the facts.
However, if you feel you MUST do your part to keep prices up I am willing to raise the asking price on mine to 60K.
Line forms on the left.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubts about the Blue and White Gen 2's place in history, but sadly doesn't change the facts.
However, if you feel you MUST do your part to keep prices up I am willing to raise the asking price on mine to 60K.
Line forms on the left.
I hope you don’t mind that I don’t join your procession, I have a car already but it sound like yours is beautiful and well cared for.
Good luck with sale!!!

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slither you realize we're talking about a 16 year old Dodge with poor factory fit and finish, no abs, that burns your leg every time you get in and out of it, and has very little creature comforts right? Heritage or not those are the facts. In the end i (and everyone else on here) chose one but those facts alone severely reduce the cars appeal to a lot of people.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slither you realize we're talking about a 16 year old Dodge with poor factory fit and finish, no abs, that burns your leg every time you get in and out of it, and has very little creature comforts right? Heritage or not those are the facts. In the end i (and everyone else on here) chose one but those facts alone severely reduce the cars appeal to a lot of people.
I am not sure I agree 100% with that analogy…. Take for instance a 67 Shelby Mustang GT 500. That car falls under that analogy (less the burning and slower than the Viper) and look at what they are going for!!! Being the owner of 2 1966 mustangs, Nostalgia has something to do with it as well. Part of the problem is the vipers are too new… We have to wait a bit.. We need our children to say “I remember my dad had one of these and now I got to have one”

Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another interestingly, i too have a 1966 mustang gt 350........
Ed
I have a 66 convertible with 56,000 miles and a 66 Hard Top with 25,000 miles, 100% original. I also have a 69 Corvette Roadster (Convertible with Hardtop) with 90,000. all the cars I have owned since High School. I tend to keep my cars, my Viper is going nowhere... The Viper is car #33. GT 350.... Very NICE!!!!!

Last edited:

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a very recent buyer of a 96 B/W, the only reason he got close to what he wanted is because I wanted a 96 B/W and a 96 B/W only…. In my case it was supply in demand… In order for our cars to be worth more, there will have to be a line of people wanting to buy them.. It’s allot like houses… I am hoping that when the market turns around, our cars (and all other classic cars) will go up in value..
But that’s just my 2 pennies….

I don't see a line of people lined up for the other cars I mentioned that keep their prices where they should be. People are not lining up for lamborghinis and the supply and demand there is as high if not higher than Vipers. Like I said in another post, there are @200 Vipers for sale world wide. There are that many ferraris and lambos as well. The reason I am related to those cars with the Viper, which , some people would not put in the same catergory, is because at that time (1996 in specific), the Viper controled the HP wars and the attention of all the other auto companies out there. Bar none !! It proved itself in the races and on the street for many years after esp 1998-2000 in the Lemans classes and there-in. Anyway, its all to personal opinion in the end, I know that, but, Like i said, I am doing my part and will by keeping my Vipers for as long as I can. When the time comes though, i will be asking what I feel this car is worth, not what the buyers want to pay. Like i said before, I would love to pay less for a Lambo or such,but,they won't budge.Not now,not never. 1986 countach is worth over 300000 and its performance and quality is a mere % compared to its current models but, demands the respect and thus the price. As should this car in particular. Just my opinion again.

Line forms on the left.

Look up autotrader.ca and search for Vipers here in Canada and see what they are fetching. Not just asking prices, 49,500-60,000,they have sold in that range. Again, it is unfortunate what is happening there in the USA. It is one of the biggest economies in the world. Thus, when things go downhill there as they have in the last while, the world market follows but, if everyone sticks together and sells their products at what they are asking/worth, then, you will have no choice but to pay that price if you want it.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I won't even comment on something so absurb.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see a line of people lined up for the other cars I mentioned that keep their prices where they should be. People are not lining up for lamborghinis and the supply and demand there is as high if not higher than Vipers. Like I said in another post, there are @200 Vipers for sale world wide. There are that many ferraris and lambos as well. The reason I am related to those cars with the Viper, which , some people would not put in the same catergory, is because at that time (1996 in specific), the Viper controled the HP wars and the attention of all the other auto companies out there. Bar none !! It proved itself in the races and on the street for many years after esp 1998-2000 in the Lemans classes and there-in. Anyway, its all to personal opinion in the end, I know that, but, Like i said, I am doing my part and will by keeping my Vipers for as long as I can. When the time comes though, i will be asking what I feel this car is worth, not what the buyers want to pay. Like i said before, I would love to pay less for a Lambo or such,but,they won't budge.Not now,not never. 1986 countach is worth over 300000 and its performance and quality is a mere % compared to its current models but, demands the respect and thus the price. As should this car in particular. Just my opinion again.

Look up autotrader.ca and search for Vipers here in Canada and see what they are fetching. Not just asking prices, 49,500-60,000,they have sold in that range. Again, it is unfortunate what is happening there in the USA. It is one of the biggest economies in the world. Thus, when things go downhill there as they have in the last while, the world market follows but, if everyone sticks together and sells their products at what they are asking/worth, then, you will have no choice but to pay that price if you want it.
Hi Slither, I love your passion about the Viper. Mine is just as strong as yours and has been since I was a young lad and set my eyes on the first 92 I saw in a dealership. I have talked about nothing more than the Viper until I purchased one, just ask my wife and friends..
As for your theory, I somewhat agree with you but what does one do when he needs to get rid of a car? What does Viperjon do?
Unfortunately he has to drop the price lower than others to make his more attractive than the next guys so it will sell OR he holds onto it if he is in that position… The line analogy is more of an expression than actuality. As far as Lambo’s go and why they are retaining their value (if they even are, I have no clue), I guess you can ask Viperjohn, his Signature lists he has one..
To me, mine is priceless but that’s because I am not selling it.

Last edited:

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't even comment on something so absurb.

No please do. Is anything i said wrong? The fact is there cars aren't nearly old enough to be collectible yet and there is a plethora of low mileage pristine cars out there. A 30k mile car is high mileage for vipers. A huge part of what makes those old cobras and other high performance cars back then very valuable now is most were destroyed during racing or crashed at much higher rates than vipers are now by kids. Not the case with these cars. Face it it's a buyers market right now with a lot of supply.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No please do. Is anything i said wrong? The fact is there cars aren't nearly old enough to be collectible yet and there is a plethora of low mileage pristine cars out there. A 30k mile car is high mileage for vipers. A huge part of what makes those old cobras and other high performance cars back then very valuable now is most were destroyed during racing or crashed at much higher rates than vipers are now by kids. Not the case with these cars. Face it it's a buyers market right now with a lot of supply.

With the supply only growing due to the Gen 5 introduction.
Dealers are giving EXTREME low ball numbers for trade-ins. Or as one top Viper dealer told me when I inquired about trading in my 2010 ACR:
"We really don't want any old inventory clogging up our lots with the Gen 5 coming"
2010 ACR = old inventory. :omg:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slowfrc, I don’t agree. Go to any car show and the Stangs outnumber the Vipers 10 fold. Allot more Stangs were built than the Viper. I can remember back to the Mustang craze in the 80’s when they were pulling Stangs out of the Junk yard to fix them up and sell, Literally.
I also don’t agree with your fit and finish statement, I think the fit and finish is quite nice on my 96… You want to see poor fit and finish, Go take a look at an old Corvette with bonding seams popping out panels not fitted correctly etc and with no power steering, brakes and especially no ABS … Nerveless, you have people, including myself that love the car, I believe they refer to those older 60’s cars as “Muscle Cars” Hmmm Gee, kinda sounds allot like a Viper!!!! In time, the Viper will stake its claim in the world… I believe its just a waiting game..

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has always been a niche car as we know, and I think the niche is even smaller now.
Less potential buyers, more available cars.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well here goes..

First off, no abs translates to most as a plus, I for one and I am sure many more could chime in on the fact that your better off with no ABS since your not going to be driving this (hopefully) in wet weather, or driving the car to the point where the ABS will need to "help" you out of a high speed jam. ABS is not a welcomed option on the race track either,which is what Dodge at that time ,built it for as well.
Secondly, the 1996 GTS (which is what this thread is about) does not have side exhaust to burn your leg,and, if the car does have side exhaust and its something of your concern,then, maybe a nice corvette or stang without that option would be a bettr choice for a person with those concerns (I would wager that there are not many with that concern on a car like this)
Thirdly, this car was not built by Dodge with creature comforts in mind. It was a symbol of raw power and performance that the Old ACE AC (Cobra) was built around. It was not made for someone who wanted cruise control and power seats or a heads up display or 12 speaker sysytem. It was a street/track car at its finest at the time, and, Boy did it do that job!! This "poor quality build" won countless races and championships in the years to follow from this Iconic pillar. Alot more than what the 2013 car is set to do ( so far anyway). But wait, this new car has cruise and creature comforts and better build quality etc..just the way you like it yet,it seems like still there is alot of dissapointment in the air among many "true muscle car"enthusiasts who still wanted to retain the siamese version of that 1996 GTS,which,was in the words of Ralph Gilles during his "why this car" interview and whatit represents. I am sure your grandpa and mine were saying the same thing about those Cobras back then,"terrible fit and finish and go cart feel" but'look at them now...500,000 to millions in resale if you find one that is. Not to mention all the other poor quality build of the muscle eras of the late 60's and early 70's that still fetch far more dollars than many of todays great quality builds.
Fourthly, on those Cobras, and, as per your quote in the earlier post, " A huge part of what makes those old cobras and other high performance cars back then very valuable now is most were destroyed during racing or crashed at much higher rates than vipers are now by kids. Not the case with these cars". You think out of the @1500 Viper GTS's built in 1996 , there were not many destroyed from wanna be race car drivers. I would say almost half maybe gone. Thats only 16 years later. How many of these truly raw snakes will continue to bite back at the hands of inexperienced handlers,leaving them with just a glimpse of tragedy of what this car is capable of in the wrong hands. Don't underestimate this "real"modern muscle car that will only appreciate through time. Hands down !!

The 1992-1995 RT-10 cars brought the revolution....the 1996 GTS brought out the war....the war among auto companies to respect what Dodge and the Viper represent. They have, in every year since, tried to dethrone the "King" many a times,only to be had once again,(until now 2013), it remains to be seen.