HELP! Passenger side sill hot as hell!!

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passenger side sill is a lot hotter than the driver's side. I have B&B headers, high flow cats, and random tech exhaust. I can touch the driver's side after it has been running a while and spray water on the sill and it will not dissipate. On the passenger side, I can't even keep my hand on the sill and when I spray water on the sill it dissipates right away. Anyone have this happen to them or does anyone know what could cause this?

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
leak in the exhaust.....or you are running rich.

I thought running rich would be cooler.... not hotter? For example, when I saw an old school vido on F1 on tuning via header color and glow the leaner they ran the mixture the more the headers glowed (obviously hotter).

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In our cars - at least those with the cats - the side sills are hotter when the mixture is richer because the catalytic converters are burning off more hydrocarbons.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one side sill get MUCH hotter than the other once, and the problem was not obvious. :(
But it ended up being that the glue that holds the side sill insulation wasn't holding it properly in place, and it slipped. Once I secured the insulation the temp was fine, and later I swapped in a set of high-flow cats and the side sill temp dropped again in half. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"when I spray water on the sill it dissipates right away. Anyone have this happen to them or does anyone know what could cause this?"

Heat.

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd guess that one (or more) of the spark plug wires on the passenger side of the engine is bad (i.e. leaking a portion of it's current to ground prior to gettingto the spark plug electrode). This happenned to me last summer, new plug wires cured the problem.

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a bad plug wire on the right side. It got so hot it started to melt the plastic sill plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang