Help! Problem with my '01

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help! Problem with my \'01

I can always seem to find the answer to my Viper problems here. Yesterday the door handles stopped working on the yellow 01 that we've been using to design the new trunktop. It also has effected the alarm system in some way as both key fobs do nothing. The car will not start (I assume because of the alarm system). I checked the fuses and they were fine. I also terned the key in the glove box to try to bypass the system. In the end, we PUSHED the car to it's photo shoot locations for the new www.trunktop.citymaker.com website.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help! Problem with my \'01

The EEM may be dead. Seems like the most likely culprit if both door handles are not working. Does it honk 3 times or does nothing at all when you use the key fob? Tested the car battery?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Battery is strong. I get NOTHING with the key fobs. What is the EEM?

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ahh. Where is it located? What might the cost be for one of those?

Thanks again for the info.

Jeff

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The EEM is under he driver's side instrument pan held to the tunnel with a rubber strap. I'm sure it's pretty costly to replace. I'ld test a little further to pinpoint the problem.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried it again and now everything is fine. Weird. Fingers crossed that it does not happen again.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool. Just a side note, every once in a blue moon, my alarm will act up where the fob will not be able to unlock the car. BUT the alarm WILL go off if I open the hatch with the key. After a few minutes, everything works fine again. Hasn't happened in a couple of years now. Some attribute it to radio interference. Who knows, it's working fine now.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jeff, I had the same problem in my SUV. Battery tested fine, alarm acted up, the SUV was disabled, etc. etc. It turned out I had a loose battery terminal so your battery may be good but your connections may not be. Just something else to check.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Years ago I had a Chevy Blazer with an after market alarm, coincidentally enough, called The Viper. Every time it got below about 20 o F that alarm would do all sorts of crazy things. I remember one time I was actually driving and it just went off. Didn't cut the ignition which it normally would do. There I am, driving with this thing blaring at full volume. I felt like a fireman. And, yes, the truck was red! :2tu:

imsa2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had a similar problem with our 96 GTS. Car would not start, then door handle , key fob would not unlock car. Turned out
to be alarm system code was lost. Took off positive battery teminal, let set for 30 seconds and rehooked. Code reset itself
and everything has been fine since.