Help: RT10 Soft top vibrating at 80 mph

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 2002 RT10 on anything much over 80 mph the canvas on my soft top starts vibrating. Then by 90 to 100 mph I have to back off before the top vibrates right out of there. Eg (This is similar to holding a blade of grass between your thumbs and blowing on it).
Any suggestions on how I can tighten up the canvas? My old 94 RT10 never did this and I have had it up to 140 mph more times than I can count.
Thanks
Tim

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those things are for keeping bad weather out and that's about it. My soft top came off at 100mph. The next one I had (from a 1994) actually had a sticker saying to keep it below 100; my first one didn't.

Unfortunately canvas stretches over time. For a while there was a company selling canvas for the tops on Ebay for about $350, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I'd do the hard top or go ******* if I were you...or just keep your foot out of it when the soft top is on.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in Canada most of our driving is in the cold so the top is on most of the days. But when heading into BC it is nice to take the soft top and use it to get to the warm weather. To keep it under 80 mph when passing is almost impossible. I could try starching it and see...........

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the cloth tubes the bars go through are tight. On my '94 they are velcro halves and can be repositioned.

If the entire roof is vibrating (vs. just the cloth) then the wind off the glass is catching the front lip. Once it raises it enough to lift, then snaps back, then lifts, then... you get the idea. Sometimes some weatherstripping on the foam on the softtop will help seal and make a tighter fit.

Lastly, you can re-shape the three intermediate bars. Stock they are slight curves. I bent mine to be more like a double-bubble. Be ready, though, you will need manly arms since they are far, far stiffer than first impression. And it goes without saying that a bend in the wrong place is difficult to unbend.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it is just the cloth and that is a good idea on the arms. And one wrong bend and I'm sure I will be looking for a new arms....... lol lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960