HELP Suddenly car is very hard to shift

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS , last week it was like butter, Today it was very stiff, & did not get bettew when warm, The clutch is engaging & disengaging fine, & pedal travel is good too. Its even hard to shif the gears w engine off, Anay ideas, bad sign?
Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went on the Almanac and the temps there in Atlanta have been steady in the low 80's. Can't blame a temp change, and would suspect something is up if this happened all of a sudden, as described.

What's the hydraulic fluid look like? Clear? Black? Your master cylinder could be bypassing (no visible leak) meaning you are not getting full clutch disengagement.

Alternatively, anyone missing a cat?

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went on the Almanac and the temps there in Atlanta have been steady in the low 80's. Can't blame a temp change, and would suspect something is up if this happened all of a sudden, as described.

What's the hydraulic fluid look like? Clear? Black? Your master cylinder could be bypassing (no visible leak) meaning you are not getting full clutch disengagement.

Alternatively, anyone missing a cat?

It was in the high 60's this am on the way to work, but I doubt that would be it, I have a check of the fluid @ lunch

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fluid is dark, but full
parked with engine off it seems the shift to 4 & 6 are the stiffest.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy to eliminate loose shifter linkage as a possibility, just pop off the boot and look down there....mine was hard to shift and wouldn't address certain gears (I forget which, but they weren't 5th and 6th); looked down below and the shifter was just about ready to come off the trans linage.....I think with the screws so backed out there was some binding. Easy fix if that's the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302