Help,unable to remove drain plug

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

As the title says, I can't get my drain plug loose. I do have to turn it counter clockwise don't I? So I can loosen it just like any other bolt?
And what size is the plug on my 92 rt/10? We have the metric tools and 16 looks a bit white, but 15 is too small. If you guys tell me your size I'll just buy that, they are available here also.

I am afraid to give too much power and damage the pan's thread...

Greetz Roy

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's 9/16 and you could also point a shop light at it for a while to warm it up or Liquid Wrench or both. Should be 25 ft lbs if torqued properly if I remember correctly.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Roy...just checked our 96 Gen I's engine...oil plug requires 5/8 inch wrench...turn counter-clockwise to loosen.

Before you try above, you might apply some real penetrating oil (such as Schaffer's Penetro 90 or Kroil...not just WD-40)...apply a couple of times over a couple of days, then use correct wrench.

To tighten plug, torque to 25 ft-lbs.(actually should be called "lb-ft").

CAUTION...Gen II Vipers require 9/16 inch wrench as Dave states...but not our two Gen I's (95 and 96 ).

Good luck !!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what steve said. spray penetrating fluid on it a few times / day and do that for a couple of days. it will come off

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I managed to get it loose, it was 5/8 and with the correct tool it was plain easy and it was indeed your average thread, justblike other bolts.

Thanks a lot

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte