Help! Viper Making Whining Noise When A/C Is on

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got a new noise just the other day. When A/C is turned on and I rev the motor, or when driving in any gear it makes a whinning noise and as the RPMs goe higher it gets louder almost like a blower or super charger sound. when the A/C is off and not running the noise goes away. the sound kinda sounds like its coming from the tranny or by the center of the console. does anyone know what it may be? someone said it might be a throw out bearing but what does that have to do with the A/C? thanks

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got a new noise just the other day. When A/C is turned on and I rev the motor, or when driving in any gear it makes a whinning noise and as the RPMs goe higher it gets louder almost like a blower or super charger sound. when the A/C is off and not running the noise goes away. the sound kinda sounds like its coming from the tranny or by the center of the console. does anyone know what it may be? someone said it might be a throw out bearing but what does that have to do with the A/C? thanks

Does the noise change during clutch engagement or disengagement?
The only thing that the a/c compressor would have to do with the t/o bearing would be the amount of load on the motor and therefore the load on the driveline. If the noise changes during clutch movement than slowly apply the clutch and see where during application it changes. If it changes just as the pedal starts to move you probabley have a bad t/o bearing. If the noise does not change until actual disengagement, you probabley have something in the trans that is on its way out. :confused:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that same sound out of my RT/10 when driving back from VOI, does the noice go away when you push down on the throttle or let off?

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the noise goes away when the car is at idle or when the AC is off. when AC is on and even in neutral, then go to 1500 RPMs or higher it makes a whine noise and it gets louder as the RPMS go up.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios, the sound wasn't coming from the tranny or the rear of the engine bay. The sound was it's loudest (whiniest) at the front center of the engine near the pulleys. I know because I stuck my head in the engine bay while you were revving it. It probably sounds as you described from the drivers seat.