Help!!!! Viper won't start.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help!!!! Viper won\'t start.

The first nice day of spring arrives and the 94 won't start. The voltage gage on the dash shows between 12 and 14 and the fuel pump kicks in. I started the car about one month ago with no problem at all. The 97 started with no problem at all. Please help.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help!!!! Viper won\'t start.

Is it cranking over? Just not catching? Check for spark, and/or ENOUGH fuel pressure.

OP
OP
B

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, it doesn't turn over at all. I did notice that all of the presets on the radio were erased.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it does not turn over then its your battery. Try jump starting it or charging the battery.

OP
OP
B

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had the battery charging at 10 amps for about three hours. Same result. I actually had the alarm set and I got in the car. The alarm went off with the horn sounding strong. Do I need to do something with the alarm system?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If there is a bad cell in the battery, it won't matter how long you charge it. Just get a new one from Wal-mart, if only to check it out. They are very understanding when it gets returned.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did the charger read 'charged'? Mine charger takes several hours to throw enough charge to crank.

How about using the battery from the 97? It's good right? Put it in the 94, then you'll know for sure.

OP
OP
B

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Crap, time to go look for a floor jack. Did a search, and it seems the most economical one is wood blocks. :)

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try to get a battery tender for winter time.They work great...

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree that it is very likely to be the battery if it doesn't crank. Batteries don't last that long when they are allowed to drain. I'd say that if the battery is 4 years old or more, you should just replace it.

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could also be your starter. Put your car in reverse, make contact with your keys, use your clutch with your right foot and push your car back with your left foot. Let the clutch comes up. After the car stops (because of the compression) try to start again.
Hope it works (and hope you understand this, sorry I'm Dutch)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Crap, time to go look for a floor jack. Did a search, and it seems the most economical one is wood blocks. :)

You can try charging the battery and you don't need to get to the battery to try this if it is like the Gen 2s.

OP
OP
B

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the input. The safety switch on the clutch "died." Completed the circuit by jumping the two wires. Much thanks to Dave @ Roanoke who hit the nail on the head via phone!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

With all these guys saying "try this, try that", I thought I would be a smart ***, and say "Try pushing it".
But I won't, cause I'm too nice. :D

Birvini, I hope you think that was funny. If not, please excuse me. Glad you got your car running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4