Help! What did newbie do now? Gas question

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1997 GTS that I took out of storage a few weeks ago. When I stored the car last winter I had to manually fill the gas tank with one of those portable gas containers and attached nozzle. I overfilled the tank (a little gas over spill came out but no big deal).

Question - Now the car is on the road again, the last two times I filled up the tank (yep...I am driving it a lot!!) the gas pump shuts off like the tank is full but the tank is only half full. The pump just shuts off well before the tank is full. I didn't force any gas until I could ask you guys.

What did I do? Did that portable container push down some sensor on the fuel filler neck? I looked at the service manual and I can't see what I could have done.

Thoughts?

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gas may be oxygenated which causes the pump to shut off. some pumps pump faster which can cause gas to erupt up to the neck and cause the pump to shut off.
try a different pump or station and I'm sure you will see a difference.
If the nozzle has a vapor recovery line (in some states required) the vapor line will get gas in it and cause the nozzle to shut off easily.
(many moons ago I managed a gas station)
don't worry about the your snake...its throat is fine.:D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nozzle at the station has a small hole at the tip. This is used to sense vapor and foam rising in the vehicle's filler tube. After the nozzle tip gets beat up enough from being put into gas tanks or returned to the pump, the hole is smaller and system is more sensitive to shutting off. It may all be a defective nozzle.

You can rotate the nozzle 90 degrees while you fill - sometimes that positions the hole more favorably. As mentioned above, a different pump or station is a very good suggestion.