Help with parts; cross between Auto & Rehab

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted some reaction to this post, so I didn't want to post on some off topic area that nobody looks at. I am developing a new kind of walker for physically challenged children. These are kids who may have spina bifida, CP, traumatic injuries or any other problem that causes them to need an assistive device to walk. I am interested in a shock that can be easily adjustable in height and compression, relatively small (for a child as compared to a car), and as lightweight as posible.

This is the very very begining of a long project, so any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Andrew

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the small lightweight shocks on a suspension bicycle might be just what you're looking for. I imagine that you could change the internal "discs" in the small "coil over" to soften the dampening for a child. Another choice, the "Air Spring Shock" uses high pressure and that pressure determines the amount of resistance. I'd imagine you could try lower pressure setting within one of these shocks and have a small, soft, lightweight and readily available option.

http://www.foxracingshox.com, they are not cheap but it might give you some ideas. Best of luck with the project,
Scott

I found this text in the manual of my bike.

Bicycles use two types of rear shocks, “Coil over” and “Air Spring shocks”. The first type of shock to be discussed is called a “coil over” shock. This type of shock relies on a coil spring to support the weight of the rider and absorb shock from the trail. Coil over shocks use a hydraulic rebound damper to control the rebound action of the shock. While the coil spring is very simple and easy to adjust or replace, it is important to understand that the hydraulic rebound damper is nitrogen charged and should only be serviced by the factory. The second type of rear shock is called an “air spring shock”. This lightweight type of shock relies only on air pressure to support the rider’s weight.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, I don't have a clear understanding of the intended use, but it seems like you may need more travel than a typical bicycle rear suspension shock. While you're looking at bicycle suspension parts, also check on the front fork shock. They may be more what you looking for.