Help with Radiator removal

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I followed the manual and took off all the bolts I can see. The manual does show two bolts on the underside that I can not find. I can move the radiator back and forth but I wont come up. Only thing I can possibly see that is restricting it are two steel wires (less then a 1/2 inch wide) that goes around the radiator (top to bottom and seems to out the bottom). Are those suppose to be removed. What am I missing. Thanks for the help.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two hoses are for you engine oil cooler. Just move them out of the way and tilt the radiator top to the rear of the car and work it out. It should come out with a little massaging.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gen 1 radiator also required the removal of the drivers side hood spring then out it came. The new Alan Performance radiator I installed is a work of art.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99R/T thanks but I not referring to the oil cooler lines, these look like tie downs (zip ties almost) that go right down the middle of the radiator, they are about as thick as 10 sheets of paper.
When I try to massage the radiator out, it seems like its still bolted down at the bottom for some reason. I hope this helps clarify some.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are just straps that are part of the radiator construction. They do not separate from anything or hold the thing in.

On my '01 GTS, there are the 2 small studs toward the front at the top, and then lean it back toward the engine as mentioned.

What is holding you up is the rubber grommets on the bottom of the radiator become fixed in their socket they locate in. Those rubber grommets insert through the radiator frame (that big plastic chunk that holds everything on the front of the car), probably through some plastic body shims, and then into the front frame horns on the chassis. They get stuck.

Why do I know all of this so well? Bought a Ron Davis, it leaked, put the OE back in, and then the second Ron Davis in.

I got unplanned experience.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics. Leaning the radiator out to remove, and then you can see below next to the drain plug all the crap the bottom mount gets stuck in.

You can also see the fluid leaking from the defective radiator...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave I was wonder when you would reply. That sounds exactly like the issue I am having. In your last pic., right were the shims are is where is feels stuck. So all I need to do is keep pulling on it until it comes out like everyone says? I was worried I might twist or bend a bolt. I assume the condenser requires more unbolting to come out, again manual is not that clear on this? Thanks again everyone.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the car in the air a bit, I would get under there and try prying a bit, very carefully. Also, some Liquid Wrench or WD40 soaked for a bit might help.

Just don't pry a hole in something or crack that big chunk of plastic known as the front half of your car.

The AC condenser is a piece of cake once the radiator is out of the way. Heck, everything gets easy then. But you might want to take the fascia off too. Just set up a lawn chair and cooler to work once you get to that point.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To removal the condenser, the manual says I have to drain the refrig., can this be avoided as I do not have the proper tools to do this.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To removal the condenser, the manual says I have to drain the refrig., can this be avoided as I do not have the proper tools to do this.

Umm. Dude. The entire cooling system and all components are filled with refrigerant (AKA Freon).

Umm. Dude2. If you figure out how to remove (removal) the condenser w/o losing the freon in it... I'll pay for the book deal, movie rights, T-shirts and hats, shop tours...

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I did mine it was a pain in the ass getting it out and the new one in with the Paxton in front. My problem was space, but with a little patience I was able to work it out without taking anything else out under the hood. I took my hood and front facia off and changed my intercooler at the same time. You did take the 2 bolts off at the top right? After that just pry it out a little bit and look for areas it might be binding up on you. The rubber grommets on mine were in very tight, but with some force they stayed and the radiator came out of them.

G

grcforce327

My gen 1 radiator also required the removal of the drivers side hood spring then out it came. The new Alan Performance radiator I installed is a work of art.

I removed the factory one in my 94 and put Alan's in with the updated fan module.I didn't touch any hood springs!Old rad out and new one in.Just took the hood off and swapped it.