HEMOTOX - A Black Mamba: The Undoing of Ralphie’s Rehab

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past weekend I took delivery of a Black Mamba SRT-10. Black is de rigeur for automotive enjoyment, for nowhere does there exist a color which is so intolerant of light, heat, and atmospheric particulate. In plainer words, this finish is stunning and a virtual nightmare even with Dawn Dishwashing Detergent and Comet Cleanser.

It is no longer a matter of whether you should preserve it from dust and predatory vermin, but you cannot look continually at the finish, or it will fade. It is unforgiving of any material other than angora fur, and you have to clay bar, polish, seal, hope, pray, bargain and do heavy drugs.

I now know, without reservation, that the Black Mamba was Dodge’s personal vendetta against a group of demanding and whiney Viper buyers who continually insist upon change. You want change? You’re not crazy about white? OK, here’s your damned Black Mamba, now deal with it.

Sal Zaino laughs at me. I keep buying clay bars. I am making little fishes with it.

I hear the paint oxidizing while I attempt to sleep.

Buy Cannon or Fieldcrest towels and store clerks have imbedded steel wool fibers into it; just for grins.

Do not attempt to use the ultra-cool car cover provided. It is oh-so-cool on the outside and uses a a 200 grit lining. It also is a four man job. If you throw it over the Mamba, it simply falls off (randomly) one of the sides or the end opposite to that upon which you are working. Neighbors are bemused. It is like a circus act.

The red appointments in the interior were initially striking. Now they are alarming. I worry that the paint will fade so badly that the interior will no longer match; not the red but the black. I feel as though at least three shades of black are emerging. It has been 31 hours since the car arrived.

It was delivered at night. There were two reasons for this. Can you say “ultra-violet?”

The second reason is Ralphie.

You may recall that Ralphie is my neighbor. A nice fellow; a doctor, and as I mentioned, he had his home built around his five collector car garage and then bought a sixth car and had to be sedated.

Ralphie, as I mentioned, has, among other vehicles, two NCRS top flight Corvettes, a restored Mercedes roadster and the last year of the water cooled 911 Porsche. He drives each only on the driest, mildest, partly cloudy day and then for a distance (I have measured) of ~3 miles. He then returns and dutifully does the others. He trolls for admiration. His daily driver is a Chrysler van, 1988 vintage.

As you likely also recall, Cletis and Jethro were the two nice fellows who summed their neurons to form a concept as to how to remove my red Viper from an inappropriate transporter with even more inappropriate and unmatched planks of wood. They were possessed of numerous tattoos and both dipped *****. They said “well, damn” (pronounced “day-um”) and “yes’um” a lot, and they hummed old Lynyrd Skynyrd favorites. They had never seen a Viper but were mighty darn proud to be delivering one no matter how many times they drove by the street because they did not know that the abbreviation of “Road” was “Rd.” Day-um.

Cletis and Jethro showed me where “y’all need to make your mark here”, provided some soiled bill of sale and a disclaimer of meteorite damage (as best I could tell).

I miss the red car, and I miss Cletis and Jethro. Some things in life are priceless. For everything else, there is a home equity line.

Ralphie’s nightmare began the day that Cletis and Jethro delivered the red Viper. While they were scratching various body parts, Ralphie noted the gathering crowd of admiring onlookers and tried in vain to garner some attention by exiting and returning in one of his collector cars.

This is very similar to a homely guy trying to solicit the attention of a supermodel. Initially, he is poised and appears to have some sense of self-respect, but soon desperation ensues and he is trying to do Karaoke to the theme for “Three’s Company.”

And so, Ralphie’s panic evolved. More gathered around the red Viper, and there did not appear to be any apparent notice of his procession of cars “that need to be let out at this very moment.”

Rehashing the details of Ralphie’s progressive deterioration is neither appropriate nor needed. He simply emotionally collapsed.

In the three ensuing weeks of inpatient, then partial outpatient hospitalization and then slow re-entry into the community, with attendant reduction of his meds, Ralphie began making home visits. I would notice that Helen (his wife) would take Ralphie for a walk every evening before returning him to his partial hospitalization program for the night.

It all appeared to be progressing well except on those occasions when I had rolled out my red SRT-10. Helen would tell him “just don’t look” as I waved from a squat position while polishing a wheel.

However, Ralphie would look. It was likely a compulsive behavior over which he had little-to-no control. He would look, Helen would grab his arm, and he would make a noise that sounded, for the life of me, like “meep, meep.” I do not know what that means, but I feel it is a distress call like three dots, three dashes and then three dots.

I searched inside of myself to decide if I was wheeling out the Viper simply to agitate Ralphie or to evoke his “meeps.” I thought that perhaps it was cruel and heartless to ****** with his tortured mind. I felt that if I were truly a good person, I would consider his feelings and how this exposure to the Viper harmed him.

Nah.

In either case, on Saturday night, the New Jersey branch of La Cosa Nostra brought my Back Mamba. It was in a hermetically sealed transport which contrasted sharply with the rig that Cletis and Jethro had used. However, this was routine for these New Jersey guys whereas it had been a life altering experience for Cletis and Jethro.

The New Jersey boys had all signature areas marked in yellow, and merely said “sign here please.” They were not nearly as impressed as Cletis had been when I displayed that I knew my “ciphers” as he had called the letters to my name.

The Mamba was beautiful (of course it was night and the ravages of dust bunnies had not as yet begun), and it was expertly unloaded, and with equal ease, my departing red SRT-10 (with its excessive mileage now at 802) was put aboard the transport. It was now three weeks old, and unquestionably a vintage car by this time.

While the loading and unloading of Vipers occurred, the neighborhood was expectedly quiet. It should be. It was Saturday night, and people with real lives were living them.

Well, almost everyone…

When the transporter had pulled off the main road onto my street, a car had parked out on the main drag, idling with its lights on. Initially, I thought this was the police wanting to do a search and seizure or cavity check of the New Jersey contingency. But, the car merely sat there idling.

When both Vipers were on the street: the Black Mamba offloaded, but the Red Viper not yet on loaded, that car that had been idling, exploded into life. There was this high pitched scream of an engine being pushed to its redline as the car came flying around the corner.

It was a new, bright yellow, 2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe. It screeched around the corner and whizzed by so quickly that both of the New Jersey boys put their hands inside their jackets. I looked rapidly from them to the back end of the 911 Turbo as it flew down the street. I sensed impending sounds of Glock 9’s.

We all simply froze. The driver of the Turbo had done a drift, and had rotated 180 degrees. He was heading back at us, but just before he reached us, he locked up his brakes, came to a screeching halt separating me from the New Jersey boys whose hands were now holding black objects and beginning to exit their jackets.

I stared rather wild-eyed at the driver of the Turbo 911. I have no idea what I expected to see, but there sat Raphie…mouth agape, eyes wild, breathing heavily and appeared to be struggling to say something. There was saliva on his chin.

As the New Jersey boys began to approach the Porsche, one on each side, exchanging nods…Helen appeared, having heard the commotion, having exited their home and was coming up to join the scene.

It was far too late. Ralphie merely stared from the old red Viper, to new Black Mamba Viper, to me, to her and back, repeatedly, and simply cried “MEEP! Oh MEEP, MEEP!”

They say he is resting comfortably in a more secured setting. They are selling the Porsche.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul,

I like to think that Hemmingway would have preferred a Viper...then again, so would Stephen King...would the latter use carbon fiber parts and have his Paxton chromed and run at full boost. I like to think so.

Best regards,

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe:

Thank you. I shall attempt to do so as schedule and inspiration permit.

The anecdotes are designed for those who like to step outside the box (and themselves) and see this sport as one in which the envy of others (such as my Ralphie) is not to be shunned...but treasured.

BTW: Did you buy a Black Mamba because I did?

(could not resist...seldom can).

Warmest regards,

Alice

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, I believe you'll have plenty more run in's with Ralphie yet to come, wonder what he can purchase to out do a VIPER ?

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil:

That is an excellent question. I do not believe that Ralphie can find something that can readily locate a vehicle (especially in that price range) that offers this performance, style, originality and...at least here....comparative rarity.

We talk about the Mustang or the GTO or the 396 Chevelle which were cars made in huge number. There are numerous limited production cars (even Panoz here in Georgia) but most are priced significantly higher, and are an investment in either foreign economies and/or do not have a large corporation behind them.

With all the whining about what the company could, should, must do, it is easy to lose sight of all that they have already and continue to do.

I recall when GM pulled the plug on racing and the poverty of truly interesting cars for many years thereafter.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Alice,

but what about the Cliff? You KNOW... The one where the Wilie Ralph the Porsche Owner Goes over

AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN... :shocked:

Jay K.

Thanks for the write up, always a good read. :headbang:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay:

We build our own cliffs. I think what Ralphie has done with his automotive interests is "buy" a sense of belonging. There is not real attachment to a car by the Ralphies. They merely want to "fit" in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is what operates many industries.

What Ralphie has failed to achieve is object attachment... a sense of being one with the vehicle.

OK, that's too Zen.

Put it this way, to the Ralphies, this is a car in which he looks cool...it is not a car that necessarily appeals to him...just to his sense of fashion.

Hmmm, wonder if Jenna felt that way too?

Alice (HEMOTOX)

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEY!!

Let's take it easy on those Yellow Porsche Turbos ... some of us "PORSHA" owners have Vipers too. :p

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoops! Quite correct.

I had assumed that you bought the Turbo as a carrier to tow your Black Mamba to the track.

Seriously, I was next to a black Turbo last weekend. Truly a nice car. Everyone noticed it.

"Semper Fi"

Alice (HEMOTOX)

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank goodness she's back!

I was suffering from alice withdrawl.

I'm all better now. :)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Daniel:

I had allotted myself the month of October to find and buy my car(s) and twist a few tales. November hit, and there was a time crunch.

A very wise man, whom we all know, encouraged me to return to my writing, and I did so over lunch today.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Is that comp coupe truly yours? If so, please PM or e-mail me.

If not...well, we all dream.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice:

Ralphie's last name doesn't happen to be Kramden?

"...to the moon, Alice"

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Botox
Had you done your research, you would have known all this. (You do know about the research function, don't you?) But what do you care? You don't do it yourself anyway. Why don't you take your writing 101 to snake pit grill? I can only, hopefully, assume that when you finally get yourself and your husband into the viper mag, all your drivel will stop.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan, Ivan, Ivan...

I cannot imagine reading a book, buying a magazine, seeing a movie, attending a concert, or reading a post in which I had such a chemical problem with the author, writer, actor or performer.

Most of us merely by-pass those posts that hold no appeal for us.

It does not seem healthy to feel this obsessive need to vent venom regardless of any internal threat of rejection you feel.

This post, as stated, was made by invitation of your superiors. You can safely assume that there will be many more of them as my schedule permits.

Please try your best to by-pass those to which my name is attached. You will feel much better; I promise.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alice, you need to tell your neighbor that you know a guy who is even more anal than he is and that same person, would like to sell his black 04 SRT-10, complete with all the little goodies that makes such a car mean and nasty. If he bites, tell him that there is also a 1965 Superformance Shelby Cobra that could be included in the transaction. The aforementioned Cobra with over 525 hp. and at only 2450 lbs. would put his little mid year vettes to shame and might just garner him more attention than the ****** *********** he so craves! OOOOOps did I say ****** ***********, I meant hair plugs. Darn, I meant liposuction. :D

A note to the administrator, please censor this post immediately, the author has been out driving his Viper and Cobra today. He is obviously drunk on race gas.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Botox
Had you done your research, you would have known all this. (You do know about the research function, don't you?) But what do you care? You don't do it yourself anyway. Why don't you take your writing 101 to snake pit grill? I can only, hopefully, assume that when you finally get yourself and your husband into the viper mag, all your drivel will stop.

We can only pray. If I wanted to read a book, I'd go to the library.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had assumed that you bought the Turbo as a carrier to tow your Black Mamba to the track.

Actually ... my Porsche (not stock 780hp) puts my Viper (stock for now) to shame. I am sure Heffner will even it out soon enough.

Funny thing about the two cars is this ... different music for each car. I can listen to just about anything, hate country, in the Porsche and it all sounds good. In the Viper however, only rock and roll sounds/feels right. Cruising the other day in my Black Viper with Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" was a blast!! I am begining to understand why Viper owners have a chip on their shoulder. :cool:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian:

I have plans on a Super Performance Cobra.

In the expose on the cars, they reference the Viper several times...with reverence... They refer to it as a refined performance car and the Cobra just brute force.

They certainly have a large share of owner/advocates.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nomercy:

I fully understand your fondness for your Porsche. Great cars.

I am more of a blues-rock/metal listener, but I am not certain how one can hear anything inside a Viper. It is amazing as much as many people loathe Country music (urban is worse), Country music persists for decades. Evolves but persists. It is rather like NASCAR.

A Porsche is a refined instrument; had one for several years. It is a different driving experience.

The car that is more difficult to fathom is the SL55 Mercedes which does not seem to have a market niche for high performance types, but it does for high income types.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

japon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralphie’s Rehab

Glad you're back.
Sarcasm, is back like a phoenix. It would seem though,
the mamba inspires you less compared to the red one.

joe :usa:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ralphie’s Rehab

Joe:

The chief difference between the red and the black is that the purchase of the red car emerged spontaneously when a Dodge dealership owner personally wanted my Harley. Cletis and Jethro were a great experience.

The black car is more refined and more planned. It was a more logical and less spontaneous purchase.

Dodge understands that people respond differently to various colors, and I do feel differently about the Mamba than I did the Red car. However, I have always owned black or silver cars.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well Botox, let's just analyze this together. This is a great viper forum and you come in with a new red viper. Great! Welcome!. Then we come to realize that instead of serious viper observations and questions, you take this as license to write cutie-tuttii things, make observations that are rather puerile, not particularly insightful, new or even interesting. Then slowly we have to learn about not only your education, but your husband's and all the degrees. Meantime, we see a cutie move with your names. Twelve days later the red viper is gone and a black mamba is here. Again, great--after all it's your money. What is really interesting to me is the need you seem to have for not only attention, but adoration. It is painfully and pitifully obvious. As I have pointed out, there are sections where your kind of posts are appropriate.

Incidentially, I do have an MD, I do have more than five diplomas and am as well off as anyone here----and who cares?

If you want to talk seriously about vipers, fine. If you want to tell stories, try to enchant some people, use the other places. It's really very simple

So save the psycho--babble and analyze yourself.

I also think that since you don't know a darn thing about vipers, this fascination of yours will be relatively short lived--before you buy your way into your next "hobbie"

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I try to gently explain to you, I just cannot provide you with all the attention that you keep requesting from me.

Your reading my posts over and over again just seems to make you so terribly upset and appear so irrational.

This is not healthy, and my responding to you seems to increase your neediness. Your obsessive drive to view my gallery over and over again is just...well...plain "icky."

I hope that you can work on these issues and find it within yourself to learn more adaptive ways of dealing with these emotions. I know that if I continue to respond to you that you will simply just spiral downward and that's certainly not what any of us want.

So, give yourself some time, and I shall wish for the best for you. Please take care of yourself.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Alice, thanks for keeping the SRT-10 column hopping with your great prose. As for the detractors, get a friggin' life!
:) :)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AG98RT10

Thank you, and I know most share your dismay.

It is not easy to see why some lead such embittered lives, but it is not for us to try to solve the world's ills. We are hear to share tales and enjoy.

Reminder: I am here at the request of VCA Officials, and it is their feelings that the posts are read very frequently and widely enjoyed.

My original committment was only for the month of October.

When asked by leadership to budget time and return and post in this Forum, I was told that such problems were even worse 18 months ago, and that few of those individuals remain. But they can, will and do surface as grim reminder that life is not a universally enjoyed commodity, but that misery is too readily shared.

I have found that such people cannot be soothed by others and cannot calm themselves. To respond to them is not productive, and I shall decline to do so from this point forward.

However, I remain optimistic that true Viper owners and VCA Members are a group of collegial and functional individuals who selectively read in those posts which interest them.

Posts are meant to entertain, some to inform, and some to seek advice, and you AG98RT10 have always enjoyed, and expressed your enjoyment of them.

I shall remain a regular contributor to this forum as best my schedule permits, and the *** and e-mails from all of you are greatly enjoyed...(and to Brian E..a Cobra is a very cool ride.)

Visit Our Family's New Website (HEMOTOX)