Here it is, the Number 1 Public 2008 Coupe!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course not quite finished yet... ;)

snumber1.jpg

snumber12.jpg

I posted these along with a bunch of other photos from the Saleen plant and the rest of the Belle Isle weekend in Detroit here:

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=605918

Enjoy!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the status of #1 on 9/1/2007, it looks like its going to be quite awhile before the 08's start rolling off the CAAP line in any significant numbers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to be the #2 car. Hmm. Let's see. Supplies needed...

(1) roll 1-1/2" wide yellow adhesive tape
(1) red grease pencil
(1) digital camera

Oh yeah. What an idiot I am.:bonker:

(1) 2008 SRT Coupe Viper

Looks like I'll have to be content with the diecast version.:stooges:

:ban:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the status of #1 on 9/1/2007, it looks like its going to be quite awhile before the 08's start rolling off the CAAP line in any significant numbers.

They built over 900 '06 Coupes/Roadster between end of Aug 05 and Thanksgiving 05...not to worry, they could be totally finished with 08 production by January. I hear it is limited to under 1000 units.

Remember, this pics above are not at CAAP...(they are at Saleen)

-J

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm a bit confused, does Saleen take care of the paint work now? Has Prefix been nixed? If so, I actually think it's really cool that Saleen has Viper involvement now.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm a bit confused, does Saleen take care of the paint work now? Has Prefix been nixed? If so, I actually think it's really cool that Saleen has Viper involvement now.
Prefix has always done specialty work for the Vipers (limited editions, raffle cars, etc.) and continues to do so to this day. The main paint/body work was done by ASC who has since folded in that capacity and was reborn as a specialty car manufacturer: American Speed Company

Saleen (pronounced "suhleen" and not "saline" like salt) is now building all of the Viper body parts and doing all of the paint work. Judging by what we saw (and by just about any S7 you see), Viper owners are in for a real treat!

:2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prefix has always done specialty work for the Vipers (limited editions, raffle cars, etc.) and continues to do so to this day. The main paint/body work was done by ASC who has since folded in that capacity and was reborn as a specialty car manufacturer: American Speed Company
Saleen (pronounced "suhleen" and not "saline" like salt) is now building all of the Viper body parts and doing all of the paint work. Judging by what we saw (and by just about any S7 you see), Viper owners are in for a real treat!

I have no doubt that Saleen will be quality work. (Thanx for telling us what the pronunciation of the word is, as I can SPELL words, but sometimes don't pronounce them correctly!)....thanx for your info as always, Chris! ~juli

JeffY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Prefix still does the stripes; ASC ( which went Chapter 11 last year) and Saleen are now owned by the same equity management company, Hancock Park Associates. Saleen took over the body painting after ASC gave it up before they were sold.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too bad for for ford losing Steve Saleen, as he announced his retirement. He'd done a lot for Ford like building the SSC mustang that had 296 hp back in 89, putting supercharged 351 Windsors in the 94 to 99 cars of course very limited that put out 500hp building the S7 and being involved with the Ford GT project. I just hope its true if he has anything to do with the VIPER

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Saleen never did anything for Ford. He did it for Saleen. The Ford GT was built by Saleen Specialty Vehicles (SSV) in Detroit. That is now who is painting the Vipers.

Steve Saleen had great salesmanship and design skills (though Phil Frank did all the great designs for Steve) but his customer service was extremely weak. It is interesting because Saleen has been known for years as having some of the worse paint on new cars out of any manufacturer. How the times have changed though.

I have owned over 6 Saleens over the years and currently own three now.

Steve left Saleen after his three year non-compete completed after the Hancock acquisition of Saleen. They recently purchased ASC as well and the old CEO of ASC is now the new CEO of Saleen.

BTW Steve Saleen is now CEO of a Asian car company. Can't remember the name and who cares.

It is going to be interesting where Saleen goes from here. Ford is so in love with Shelby that it is killing them down the road. Shelby coming back is why Colletti left. That killed SVT. Ford has their heads firmly up their asses. This from a previous blue oval freak. I love the old Fords, but would not buy a new Ford if you paid me. It is the SRT line all the way with my 06 Coupe and my 07 Jeep SRT8. My Saleens (S281SC, S351R and SSC) are their forever as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi