Here we go AGAIN!!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One week to the day when my Viper would not start last Sunday, she will not start on this Sunday. Last time it turned out to be a 20 amp fuse. Mr. Tom Sessions solved that problem for me w/ his brilliance! Now today, again she will not start. I checked every single fuse 3x, even went and bought the larger 20 amp and 30 amp fuses, replaced all those, she still will not start. Again, all electronics work fine. But when I press the clutch and push the red button....nothing. She is an 04 SRT, 5700 miles w/ VEC 3 and Belangers. I rode all day yesterday w/ no problems, but today...nothing. :confused:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No April Fools prank here. Anyone else having these kind of starting problems w/ their Gen 3 Vipers? If so, what besides the fuses and clutch safety switch could it be? HELP!

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried jumping it? I'm guessing u checked the battery terminals for oxidation. Also there was a thread posting about a similar problem by someone else, although I couldn't find it. I had the same problem as u, but after a jump it hasn't resurfaced.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried jumping it? I'm guessing u checked the battery terminals for oxidation. Also there was a thread posting about a similar problem by someone else, although I couldn't find it. I had the same problem as u, but after a jump it hasn't resurfaced.
All the other electricals work fine, radio, lights, horn etc. That makes me think it is not the battery. The post you might be referring to might be mine, I had the same thing happen last week but then it was just a fuse. Now, I dont know what the hell it is.

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All my electronics worked, even the headlights on my 05 Copperhead, but I had nothing happen when I hit the button as well in January.

I trickle charged the battery for 24 hours and it turned right over. It takes some power to turn over that V10. At least that is what it led me to believe. Have not had an issue since. It's cold in Ohio and I just figured the Battery lost enough juice to not start.

Good luck,

John

Reaction score
As the battery gets drained a few times it will never hold a charge long. Even with a trickle charger it may not come up enough to start the car. I would replace the battery and remember that it takes alot of juice to start the Viper and if it is not driven sufficantly afterwards the battery will be weakened each time.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove the car over 100 miles on Saturday, but she would not start on Sunday, not a sound when I press the red button. So even though the radio plays at full volume, all the bells and whistles work..etc, you guys suspect the battery? She only has 5700 miles on her...ok, I will replace the battery and see if that works. thanks!!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuse is the only trick I know.
When you turn the key does anything happen? ie. you hear thing coming on in the dash?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuse is the only trick I know.
When you turn the key does anything happen? ie. you hear thing coming on in the dash?
Yes, I hear some kind of actuator moving, like it always does. All the lights come on, radio, etc. The only difference is that this time my cd player kept shuffling cd's. I turned the radio off and it still kept shuffling cd's. Other than that the symptons are exactly the same as before...all the bells and whistles work, but when I push the red button..nothing.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has your front dash cover ever been off? Maybe there is a loose connection for the button?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know if its been off. I had a VEC 3, Belangers, smooth tubes, hi flow filters, etc installed. It was installed by my Viper tech, and he is one of the best. But I dont know if those mods required a dash cover removal.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also would check the ground cable that is connected to the right motor mount and runs to the frame rail to be sure it is not loose. You may also have a dead spot on the commutator in the starter motor.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Boy your luck has been bad on this subject.

I'd check the battery first as stated above. A simple volt meter will tell you its condition. Is this the original battery? If so, put a yellow top in and run a battery tender on the car when you're not driving it and your problems will be over.

If the battery is OK, check the hot wire to the starter. I had mine fall off because it was not engaged and locked - you know those plastic locking devices on most electrical clips. It's easy to find as it's the only wire going to the starter.

If the hot wire is secure, check the starter button.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right my luck w/ this has been rotten lately. Only good thing this time is that I was home when it happened...no tow needed. Thanks for the great info, I will check the battery and the wires, hopefully this might help.
thanks guys!

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had it detailed about 2.5 weeks ago, the problems started just after.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may already be aware of this but there also the square fuses in the fuse box. They look like little relays with a clear top window and they are pink blue etc. If you look into the window sometimes you can see if one is blown. You can pull one and swap it with another and try to start it. Do you have a Paxton?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may already be aware of this but there also the square fuses in the fuse box. They look like little relays with a clear top window and they are pink blue etc. If you look into the window sometimes you can see if one is blown. You can pull one and swap it with another and try to start it. Do you have a Paxton?
I changed all the square fuses except the 40 amp ones, the parts store did not have those in stock. I am going to try and find those 40 amp (green ones) tomorrow. No, I dont have a Paxton (starting to wish I did!), I have been waiting on the elusive Roe Gen 3 charger.

N

Nobody

Just wild ass guess ........but you do not have stock headers.....aftermarket headers have been known to burn up factory wiring harnesses due to heat/wire routing

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unhook the VEC and hook the stock wiring back up and see what happens.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will try your suggestions today (gotta play a little hookey from the office)and hopefully she will get going; out of all these great ideas I am sure one of them will work. THANKS!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Likely the battery or the VEC. Some of those are a bit "buggy".

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inerested in knowing what was the resolution ?
I am having my car flat-bedded to Chuck "The Best" Tator in Salem, NY, about 50 miles from me tomorrow morning. It could be many things, from shorts, to loose wires, etc. Seems like it all started right after I had my car detailed. But I will have Chuck check it out, in addition I will have him put on the new PS-2's. When Chuck figures out what it is I will deff post it in this thread.