Hi-Flow Cats w/ Corsa

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After breaking in my Viper for 3.5 years, I am finally ready to make some minor performance modifications. I have read numerous threads on the simplest way to start and I have decided on K&Ns, Smooth Tubes and Corsa exhaust. The one question I have not been able to determine is the need for Hi-Flow cats in a mostly stock car. I am not opposed to the idea, but I am wondering if anyone else has a similar setup and can tell me about performance, sound levels and drone. I have heard cars at Viper events with just Corsa and I like the sound very much. (The sound bite on their web site is fairly close) I have heard others with engine mods, headers, Hi-Flow cats and Corsa, but they seemed really loud. Unfortunately, I have not heard one with just Hi-Flow cats and Corsa.

Will there be an HP performance increase with the R/T Hi-Flow cats compared to Corsa alone? How much louder will it sound at idle and normal cruising speeds? Is drone an issue? Someone mentioned in another post that there was an HP increase with Hi-Flows, but it was not clear whether they were referring to an otherwise stock car or one with major engine mods, etc.

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Rt/10 with a Corsa 3" Cat-back and 3" Random Tech Hi Flow Ceramic cats. I love the sound, and the performance gains were great. See post I did here after I had it dyno'ed right after I put on above mods:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=306949&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=306949&Search=true#Post306949

(or do a search on Gadgetmann and Corsa Install if above doesn't work...)

I even posted my dyno graphs showing before and after comparisons.

Actually, it was a tad too quiet for me, so I added 1.7 Arrow Roller rockers and now it is a little deeper and throatier - much better...

This mod added 27 Rear Wheel HP which is a great bang for the buck. And, the sound is more 'muscle-car' like without being too loud. Stay away from 'no-cats' option, IMHO. Too loud and raspy. Hi Flow cats sound great with Corsa.

Highly recommend!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the corsa/randomtech hiflo cats/belanger headers combination, if not for the increase in HP do it at least for the excellent improvement in sound quality

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Corsa, Random Hi flows on my 02 & the car sounded more like I thought it should. Not too loud, just enough.

my .02
Andy

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the Corsa and then added the RT cats later. Adding the cats made a big difference in sound volume over Corsa alone. The cats also made the tone a little raspier. If you are looking for a better sound, but don't want it very loud, you may want to skip doing the cats.

--- Ken

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
May I also suggest: hear all the exhausts before you make up your mind. I personally dont like how the Corsa sounds... I am a B&B kinda guy. Just a suggestion...

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I also suggest: hear all the exhausts before you make up your mind. I personally dont like how the Corsa sounds... I am a B&B kinda guy. Just a suggestion...
I'm with him, I'm a Borla/Mopar guy b/c I want it loud and mean, not tinny/ricey which to me is what the Corsa exhaust sounds like, just don't like the sound of it, even on header and high flow cat equiped cars I've heard.

But it is your choice, I'm guessing minimum drone/not very loud is what you want and the Corsa exhaust is good for that. But there are other setups out there that can really let that engine rumble, just add an x-pipe and you'd greatly reduce the drone of the meaner sounding systems.

Dave Dugal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with all the previous replies. The Corsa with high-flow cats makes for an awesome "shoulda come this way" sound and a 20-25 HP rear wheel performance increase. It doesn't eliminate the 2200 RPM drone, but does change it, some say for the better.

Daniel gives good advice. Let your own ears be your guide. At your next VCA event, audition a couple of installations by your fellow members. I haven't met a Viper owner who doesn't love being asked the question, "Can you let me know how it sounds?" Notice the exhaust note at idle as well at at 4000 RPM.

OP
OP
B

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gadgetmann,

Thanks for the pointer. That is exactly what I was looking for on the performance numbers. Any real difference in the ceramic vs non-ceramic Hi-Flows, other than the price?

V10 Mojo,

Concerning the header option, most of the previous threads I found commented that the cost to performance ratio was not there. Also, I am not trying to shake my neighbors windows, I just want them know I am coming or going without looking for the UPS man... :)

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree ... very individual tastes come into play in an exhaust note. I heard them all and like the Corsa the best by far, but that's me. Go to a few Viper events and listen to different options before you choose.

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, the metal substrate will be louder and raspier than the ceramic, and run a tad cooler. The metal ones didn't suit my personal tastes as much. Good luck!

PS, I stayed with the stock headers on purpose. The others (Belanger, etc.) cause you to lose low end torque and that is where I do most of my driving. Headers are pricey and a crappy bang for the buck, IMHO. Also, the stock headers are pretty darn good!

The proof is in the numbers ... I am at 452 RWHP on very minimal mods .... with the stock headers.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
black venom, im not sure what you mean by performance to cost ratio? good headers are worth every cent, especially if you plan any real performance upgrades in your future, let that snake breathe my man! as for shaking windows, thats all at your control, you decide if its loud or soft simply by the toe on the pedal. i can be as quite as any stock viper if i want, but i can also piss off the corpses living next door if i wanna go WOT and believe me it does sound good!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Metal substrate cats are the absolute top of the line.
For tubes, filters, and possibly headers, RT HiFlows will do just fine. One of the great benefits of hiflows is that they lower the side sill temp considerably.
Word has it that all the "B" systems drone. The Corsa does not.

I am really pleased with my set up, it sounds deep at idle and wails bada$$ with your right foot planted!

Here is a quote from JonB reference hiflow cats from a prior thread:

"There are pluses, minuses, and as always THE YEAR MATTERS !

The answers for 1995 and 2001 are waaaay DIFFERENT.

And even for 2000 vs 2001.

As far as metal honeycomb: 528 CFM each cat vs 439 CFM Stainless ceramic vs about 300-ish OEM. You keep your torque numbers higer (most years) with a bit of backpressure..... and you can readily LOSE TQ with a wide-open system. Not to mention the STINK.... "

Here are a couple relared threads also:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=352886&Forum=UBB14&Words=cats&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=2weeks&Main=352886&Search=true#Post352886

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=355013&Forum=UBB14&Words=cats&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=2weeks&Main=355013&Search=true#Post355013

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Corsa.Think about the sound diference this way.B&B has a more american sound and the corsa a more euro sound.If you don't get sniffed skip the cats and car will be LOUD and cooler.Of course syms will be needed.If you smell something funny with no cats you are either driving too slow and the exhaust is catching up to you, or you're driving too fast for your passenger. Bruce

OP
OP
B

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I placed my order with JonB today and I went with the Smooth Tubes, K&N Filters, Corsa and R/T Hi-Flow Cats. I also added the new 16-Spoke 19" Purners from the "great looks" department. :cool:

http://www.roeracing.emerchantpro.com/vendorimages/roeracing/wheel-1.jpg

Jon is having an excellent end of year sale, if you get your order in by tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery