High horsepower with no nitrous (PCM)

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all of you folks that are running high HP with out nitrous, what are you using to tune the car? I recentely dynoed my car and it is running super lean until over 5000 rpm. I need to know if anyone knows of a program I can purchase or a programmed that can do this for me as the stock PCM is not adequate nor do I believe safe for my engine. I understand from a few conversations that these cars form the start when you floor the gas they start off lean but if I could reprogram this that would not be the case. If anyone could help please advise.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but there isn't a lot of programming talk going on here like our LS1 brethren. (I think those LS1 guys are 1/2 computer geek!)

All that I know of is the Roe MAP tricker and a Spanish outfit named Giwasa or Gisawa ....I always mix up the name.

They offer it but it is VERY expensive... someting like $1000 or $3000 ....again I can't remember since I inquired probably a year ago.

There doesn't seem to be any discussion of programming here.

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VEC1 is a good product and does change parameters, but what I want to do is reprogram the stock PCM and change the mapping of it put timing and fuel in or out at different levels. Tom and Vipers that is correct about the LS1 cars, and that is exactally what I am looking for, unfortunetely I just don't think there is a demand for it.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:
SOMETHING IS WRONG..I make over 570 to the tires on a BONE STOCK FUEL SYSTEM and have NEVER run LEAN.THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED THE Unichip is if you change the cam.(Then it is definately worth it )Your stock fuel system is not working correctly.Call me if i can help (732)462-0106.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

I DEFINITELY need a PCM upgrade! I've searched everywhere - but no luck. I was told that mopar use to have one but discontinued it. I E-mailed Roe & he's out of stock - has some on order. What is the Unichip?

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firts of all, what do you consider lean a/f ratio for a stock Viper. A properly tuned stock Viper should be around 13.0 to 13.5.

The Unichip made by Dastek wires into your stock wiring harness as a piggyback system. It uses a DOS base dprogram to alter map sensor signals which ultimately changes a/f ratio. I have gained as much as 18 rwhp on a 2000 Viper with a stock camshaft. It allows you to alter the fuel value at 12 different load sites every 400 rpms. This system can not be tuned via mail order you must have someone with a dyno tune it for you. I beleive Bob Ida automotive in New York Uses this software also but have also heard that he is extremely expensive. The Dastek should cost around 500, the install should be about 140, and tuning on a mostly stock car should not take more than one hour. Good luck.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Jason.
The Dastek software, although not perfect, appears to be the best tuning solution for the Vipers at this time. It does a good job of modifying the fuel under load and rpm.

I spent all day Monday working with the US distributor for Dastek to enable the software to adjust timing as well. There is power to be found and margins of safety to increase with timing control capabilities. So far so good. We were able to adjust timing and need some time to work out some other things with further testing.

Agree with Dan about using a high end air fuel ratio when you do your tuning. Anything else may be a waste of time.

The 2000+ cars run richer than the earlier year cars at wide open throttle. By leaning out the mixture, they do show an increase in power more so than the 96-99 cars which tend to run less rich. The more mods you do to your car the better results can be obtained with PCM tuning. Keep in mind: Every car is different which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to do chips or tuning by mail. The same parts on a 96 Viper will require drastically different tuning than those on a 2000 Viper.

I'll keep everyone posted on new additions to the software.

regards,
Wayne (LTHL VPR)

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

At 2500 rpm my A/F raito is 14.6 and does not fall below 13.5 until 5500 rpm. I will have to look into this Dastek hopefuly I will be able to adjust timing as well.And yes I was using a wideband 02 sensor.

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with Joe 1BADGTS, he recommended a fuel presssure check on my car as with the hp I am putting out I should have no problems and it must be in my fuel system. I repleaced fuel filter the day before dyno run and just checked my fuel pressure I am getting 56 psi, which is adequate, so I don't know where to go from here I'll keeping talking to people for ideas, and solutions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960