High idle problems gen II

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

Have a problem with my 99 ACR:

When I drive the car the idle won't come down below about 1500RPM..if I come to a stop it will sit and idle at about 1500RPM for about 20sec before the idle come down to normal..if I use the brakes to slow the car down on the gears, and release the clutch before the engine stalls, it will idle as normal.

Have tried to reset the computer five times, but this does not seem to work. One time it made the car acsellerate when I let of the throttle, and one time it was operating normal for a few hours, but in both cases it was back to the same idle problem after a while. Have been at the Chrysler dealer here in Norway, but they can not get any unormal reading except that it has an emission problem with way to high HC (normal here is around 100, but my car read over 500), and it seems like the injectors are staying open to long. No light comes on in the cars messagecenter in the dash.

Would apericiate any help and techsuport from qualyfied persons in this area..my email adresse is:
[email protected]

Than'x

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a vacuum leak, spray the manifold area and vacuum hoses with WD40 and watch for a rpm change.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This could be way out there, but if I remember correctly the computer holds the idel up to help burn off unused fuel. There might be an emissions sensor telling it to keep idling high. Just a wild guess.

OP
OP
V

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Than'x Cody..that might be a clue, I have a problem with the injectors staying open a little to long, so I will take it from there and do some research, and I think the car is a little to gasthirsty

OP
OP
V

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have tried with startgas but could not see any sparks or hear any RPM change, but will try to install new intake gaskets..than'x

Reaction score
Hi,

Have a problem with my 99 ACR:

When I drive the car the idle won't come down below about 1500RPM..if I come to a stop it will sit and idle at about 1500RPM for about 20sec before the idle come down to normal..if I use the brakes to slow the car down on the gears, and release the clutch before the engine stalls, it will idle as normal.

Have tried to reset the computer five times, but this does not seem to work. One time it made the car acsellerate when I let of the throttle, and one time it was operating normal for a few hours, but in both cases it was back to the same idle problem after a while. Have been at the Chrysler dealer here in Norway, but they can not get any unormal reading except that it has an emission problem with way to high HC (normal here is around 100, but my car read over 500), and it seems like the injectors are staying open to long. No light comes on in the cars messagecenter in the dash.

Would apericiate any help and techsuport from qualyfied persons in this area..my email adresse is:
[email protected]

Than'x

I had the same experiences as you, with my '99 ACR. My '96 GTS never had this issue. So........why not install a '96 computer(PCM)? I did(a few years ago). Never had another problem. As a side benefit, I have the ability to check malfunction codes using the ignition switch on, off, on, off, on method. After the '97 model Vipers, this feature is no longer available.

Chuck G

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try a Throttle Position Sensor? TPS. Quick to try, and if it doesn't work, you should be able to return it without hassle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21