High Temp silicone or epoxy

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's gotta be a better way of adhering the heat shield to the side sills. This is the 3rd time I have removed the sills in order to fix the shielding. Every expoxy I have tried ( muffler cement ) seems to adhere temporarily then comes lose. I can tell when it comes lose since it rattles against the muffler.

I can;t be the only one experiencing this problem. Can anyone recommend a high temp silicone ?? I tried to call a local DC dealership and they had no idea what the stock expoxy was on the shielding.

Thanks
Patrick

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you trying to bond the stock shielding to the side sill? If so, I don't believe that is what Dodge did and I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Bonding the two will give the heat a direct link to transfer to the sill. Dunno.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you trying to bond the stock shielding to the side sill? If so, I don't believe that is what Dodge did and I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Bonding the two will give the heat a direct link to transfer to the sill. Dunno.

Hey Chuck;
Thanks for your response.
Yes I'm trying to bond the shielding to the sills. Seems I can't get an answer from any local body shops. They were bonded directly from DC with this rubber/plastic black expoxy. They came lose and I suspect this is a very common problem for this car.

Do you know if the temperature will exceed 500 degrees F . I find that unliklely. Also I wish there would be a way to attach this mechanically.

Thanks
Patrick

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have always had good luck with SEM Body Panel Adhesive... and it even looks just like the stock stuff (most likely is). Just scratch up the adhesion areas a little and clean off any old glue. They did a crap jab of glue prep at the factory, thats why it comes apart. It isnt cheap though at 40 bucks+ a tube, and you need the gun for it as well...another 50 bucks. I can pick some up for you if you want and bring it to Toronto when I come up, usually up there once a week.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that you mention it I do recall there being a path of bonding material on my side sills. But I just fit the insulation up in there and attach the sill nowadays and don't worry about bonding it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never use adhesive on the insulation. I just flatten them out and press them into the side sills as this give you an air space and helps to keep the outside of the sill cooler. I can rest my hand on the sills anytime without getting burned and I am running the crossover pipe on our custom wrapped exhaust system.
Robbie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960