Hint at 2013 Transmission

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of these prototype Tremec TR6060 transmissions (http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/647683-Direct-from-SRT-Revised-2010-Transmission-Prototypes!) and it arrived yesterday in a nice wooden crate. Inside the crate, I found a paper labeling it as a 2013 Viper transmission, mentioning the fluid type and level requirements. I figured these were prototype transmissions for the 2010 that weren't used (both 5th and 6th gear ratios are more aggressive). I now see they were actually prototype 2013 Viper transmissions :)

Tony

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news on the 2013 trannsmission, but I am bit perplexed about the gearing. Is the 2013 identical to the 2010 revised gear version, or am I missing something?

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news on the 2013 trannsmission, but I am bit perplexed about the gearing. Is the 2013 identical to the 2010 revised gear version, or am I missing something?

If you follow the links, it says only 5th was changed for 2010. This tranny has 6th changed, too!:2tu:

Bill

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of these prototype Tremec TR6060 transmissions (http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/647683-Direct-from-SRT-Revised-2010-Transmission-Prototypes!) and it arrived yesterday in a nice wooden crate. Inside the crate, I found a paper labeling it as a 2013 Viper transmission, mentioning the fluid type and level requirements. I figured these were prototype transmissions for the 2010 that weren't used (both 5th and 6th gear ratios are more aggressive). I now see they were actually prototype 2013 Viper transmissions :)

Great info, Tony!! Thanks for posting.

Bill

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting that Corvette is going the other way, with longer 5th and 6th gears in their transmissions for improved fuel economy on the EPA tests.

The new Viper gear sets should make the car more fun to drive, as well as having better performance on the longer tracks.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, nice, would have liked one of those trans (and ratio's) but wasn't in the budget. First time I had ever seen a 6 gear switch.

The internals may be improved and ready for the '13? But, I'd be surprised if Dodge kept that.63 in 6th as this would negatively impact the EPA highway mileage calculation.

Can you find a place to test top speed? 6 maybe higher than 5th with the new ratio's. good luck, Mike

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting, and a couple of good things related to this if it truly is a '13 tranny preview. First, there will be plenty of tranny upgrades available to us for a long time if they mass produce the unit with those ratios. Second, if they did change the ratio for 6th, that might be saying something about the efficiency of the engine that is going into the '13. The big reason for the .50 ratio in 6th gear was the EPA test for highway mileage. If they are able to go with a .63 ratio, that might be a hint that a more efficient engine is in the works. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an 8.4L direct injection engine with multi-spark and higher compression...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just for fun, please consider...

Maybe the trannies are NOT what will be in then MY-'13 ?! Maybe this unit shows that flipper-paddles survive, and the manual did not !?

The other part of the equation is final-drive-ratio that ends up in the MY-'13 diff..... wanna bet?

Again, all in fun..........

Reaction score
You might also want to note that those Viper transmissions that we purchased only have a stick shift interface... :D

(and no, not offering any prototype engines - yet).

OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If im not mistaken 5th and 6th were changed for 2010.

Only 5th gear was changed for 2010. On this prototype trans, both 5th and 6th were changed.

Pre-2010 = 0.74 5th and 0.50 6th
2010 = 0.80 5th and 0.50 6th
Prototype Trans (2013?) = 0.80 5th (same as 2010) and 0.63 6th

Basically, it makes all 6 gears acceleration-possible gears. If you have the power, that is.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for fun, please consider...

Maybe the trannies are NOT what will be in then MY-'13 ?! Maybe this unit shows that flipper-paddles survive, and the manual did not !?

The other part of the equation is final-drive-ratio that ends up in the MY-'13 diff..... wanna bet?

Again, all in fun..........

I was thinking about the final drive ratio, too - but there's no way they'd be able to get away with anything below the 3.07 unless the engine put out MONSTER low end torque... Since the first through fourth gears seem to be unchanged, I just can't see how changing the final drive ratio would happen... So, my bet would be against it :)

I hope they don't paddle the Viper. That would be a bummer.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too bought one of the prototype transmissions and had it sent to BBG for a bunch of upgrades including plumbing it for an oil cooler.

The price that the VPA was offering was just too good to pass up, plus I have my stock transmission to put on the shelf since I like keeping all the original parts when modifying the car.

Sometimes lower rpms don't translate to better mpg if the new 2013 engine has a different type of injection and computer interface. I don't know exactly how the EPA hiway test cycle is run, but depending on how many "starts" there are, lower gearing with a better injection/computer control may give better mileage :dunno:

Then again, maybe the Fiat 500 is helping push corporate mileage figures up enough that the Vipers mileage won't really matter if they are only running 2500 units or so per year.

I'm guessing the 2013 is going to be a freaking beast.

Cheers,
George

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The old T-56 has gone through numerous changes over the years. There are many ratio options and automatic shifting options now used by the OE and aftermarket for this transmission. It will be interesting to see what is used on the new model.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So few Vipers are built [even in the largest build-years like 2013 might become] that if the Viper only got 3 MPG city and 5 MPG highway, it would not affect CAFE by even one-half-of-one percent. ie NO real affect on CAFE.

The 3:07 final drive ratio was dictated not by CAFE but by the GAS GUZZLER TAX, on a continuously reducing scale each year since 1988. It may be that there is NO guzzler tax on Viper in MY 2013, and if so, the engineers could finally have some latitude to use a more logical ratio. At least one could hope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are pics of the document, and the crate the trans was packed in. The crate has a "13" on the number too, after Prototype.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are pics of the document, and the crate the trans was packed in. The crate has a "13" on the number too, after Prototype.

Thanks for posting that document Tony. Important information like that should be included in the owner's manual in my opinion. Obviously the old fill it til it comes out the fill hole method does NOT apply to these transmissions. I had to learn that the hard way by cleaning up all the fluid that came out the vent tube after the last track event I attended. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masterofzen