HOOD CHIPS

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 94 about 6 months ago, it had around 7500 miles. The paint was near perfect with only a few flaws due to rock chips.It almost kills me to drive it anymore because every time I do I get another chip or two in the hood, rockers and wheel wells.I bought it to drive and enjoy but, I hate to see this happen to a near perfect car. Is this a common problem? and should I enjoy the car for what it is and drive it?

THANKS CURT

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing with my car. I had a pretty clean front end. I have got more than a few chips in my front end, hood, etc. now. I bought mine to drive it!:drive: It had 4200 miles on it the summer I got mine (july '05) and now I have over 15000 miles on it and its worth every little chip I have in it. Don't get me wrong I get frustrated everytime I find a new chip but I figure in ten years i'll just get the front end repainted and start over again. :) :):2tu:

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your that worried about it, get a clear bra installed. 3M has a few different products for that. Then drive the hell out of her!

Earl

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Enjoy your Viper. Chips can be repaired. The less I worry about things like that, the more I enjoy the overall experience of driving the world's best muscle car. IMHO.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use a Mopar front bra. Padded vinyl and it also keeps the caustic bug bodies off of my paint. I probably have a few rock chips, but they aren't obvious. I have 42,000miles on my Sapphire Viper. When/if I do collect rock chips I will repaint the nose as that's probably cheaper than a c;ear bra. One outfit in Texas makes Vinyl bras that are color matched to Viper paint codes.

Ted

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drive it and enjoy...a year later, if it is bad, simply repaint...drive some more and enjoy some more... :2tu:

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree, just drive it, ENJOY IT... and fix it every year if you want.. but dont stop driving and feeling the power..

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How big are the chips? I have used the Dr. ColorChip system with good results on small chips.

OP
OP
B

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, It makes me feel better that everyone else has the same problem. I will just have to get used to it.:)

Curt

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why get used to it. Why not get a clear bra installed and stop worrying???

He said he already has chips...can't get the bra over those...

I am not 100% sold on the bra personally...they look unglossy and on certain colors, simply not right...

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said he already has chips...can't get the bra over those...

I am not 100% sold on the bra personally...they look unglossy and on certain colors, simply not right...

Its all in the install and the film you use. A good quality film will have a glossy shine to it just like the paint and will not be noticable. And a good installer will hide the edges so that you cant see from 5 feet away its even on there.

I would touch up the chips and put the film on over it. It will at least keep you from getting any more.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 08 already has some small chips the biggest problem seems to come from being behind other vipers... big tires throw many rocks. I look at it as a sign of enjoyment. anyone who has a viper with no chips w/o a bra must not have enjoyed their car so whats the point of haveing it???

OP
OP
B

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have a bra for it, but I cant stand the way it looks. I will just have to live with it.

CURT

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your pick

Door #1- Perfect Diecast 1:1 Viper in your garage, maybe 2K miles on it to keep it that way:)

Door #2- Nice Viper that you actually DRIVE, feel the TORQUE, cruise around with your buddies
that STILL looks verrry nice

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me, I notice more chips after the first 2000 miles of driving the car. After putting another 11k on her in one year, it hasn't got much worst. Drive and enjoy. Chips = fun.