Hood Gap

GA- Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 95 suffers from what I have researched the fairly common problem on Gen 1/2 of hood to fascia fitment. The gap at the side of the fascia (just in front of the wheel well) ) to the hood on the passenger side is larger than driver's side. I have forum researched countless old threads discussing all kinds of remedies. Most are so old that all of the pics are gone/not available. One post suggested loosening the fasteners in fascia to the wheel well and jacking under the inner fender. I loosened the fasteners but there was zero movement and not real excited about the jacking part. I tried making adjustments using the 2 front hood latches and even the rear adjustable hood containment catches. But nothing really changed.

So does anyone have a remedy short of removing the front fascia and refitting ? Or if anyone knows of an experienced body person in metro Atlanta who could perform a proper fitment ?

Thanks.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing really fits right on a G1.... My advise is to go easy on your modern expectations for early viper. These cars really were throwbacks, almost kit cars. Unless it's really bad, I'd leave it alone.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago when I had a '94 I played with the hood adjustments and got it pretty close, and a Viper Tech at the local dealer tweeked it somemore and it got even better so if you have a dealer with one try that. Otherwise, early cars have big gaps at time - I saw a '96 auctioned at Barrett-Jackson last night and the hood gap was the worst I have ever seen!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Unloosen the screws in the wheel wells. Then you can adjust the gap to some degree.

For the rest, they did use shims ... especially along the top under the hood opening ..

.... maybe some are no longer there.