Hood Vent Cover Blew Off...

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone!

I am back after several years. I just recently purchased a 2013 SRT. During the 1st week of driving (with only 900 miles on the car), the front right hood vent cover blew off. Upon inspection, I noticed the front 2 cutouts for the hood vent covers are cut differently in the hood than the other 4 located further up the hood towards the windshield. By design, the hood vent covers connect by small plastic clips on the underside of the hood vent covers that grab the underside of the hood. At the location of each clip on the front 2 covers (closest vents to headlights), the cutouts for the hood have small notches taken out of the hood, which allow less surface area for the clips to grab. I hope I described this in a manner that makes sense. The car is in the shop now so I don't have any pictures to show at this time.

Has anyone heard of this? Can someone with a 2013 SRT pop their hood and see if all the cutouts are cut the same in the hood or if the front 2 are different? It will be obvious if they are different.

I appreciate any help!

Justin

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think they made a design changes to them for the later models. I believe this was discussed in a post by Tony-Nineball. Check with your dealer to be sure.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is at the 2nd dealer now and so far neither seem to have an answer and one even alleged the hood had been modified. The car had 900 miles on it when I got it with no mods....please!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Call Morgan at Tomball Dodge. There is an improved vent made by Dodge. I had the originals replaced under warranty on my Gen V.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Near the end of the 2013 model year they made a change. I had mine changed under warranty.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I called Tomball Dodge today and was able to get the part numbers to the newer hood vent covers and provided the info to the dealership my car is at. I hope this resolves...

So what is different about the newer ones?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are a tighter fit and the clip is more substantial.
Thanks guys! I called Tomball Dodge today and was able to get the part numbers to the newer hood vent covers and provided the info to the dealership my car is at. I hope this resolves...So what is different about the newer ones?

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front two cutouts for my hood vents are different from the other 4. At each location where the clips attach, the hood is notched, allowing for less surface area for the clips to grab. I need to take some pics so I can show y'all what I mean....it's hard to describe.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New hood vent part numbers are as follows:

68141088AE
68141089AE
68141090AD
68141091AD
68183762AD
68183763AE

Each vent has it's own number...sorry to state the obvious, but thought I would clarify.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New hood vent part numbers are as follows:

68141088AE
68141089AE
68141090AD
68141091AD
68183762AD
68183763AE

Each vent has it's own number...sorry to state the obvious, but thought I would clarify.

So my hood vent covers came in today and only 1 of 6 were the new design with one of the new part numbers above. The original part numbers end in the letter "c" and the other 5 were identical to the original ones (part ending in letter "c")...what a bummer! I am going to start another Thread with pics of the hood cutouts to see if other Gen V (2013) viper hoods are manufactured like this. It is either a poor design or someone jacked my hood up at the manufacturing plant. Look for thread called "Look under your hood PLEASE"

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave