Hooking up a battery tender....questions

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a very stupid question, but where on the car do I hook this thing up. I found the positive connection for the battery, but where is the negative? When I connect this, do I have to look out for anything in particular?

Thanks!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hooked mine up yesterday and I put the negative clamp on the bolt almost right under the positive post down on the frame. On my 97 there is another wire hooked to this post so that's where I put it. I hooked everything up and closed my hood before I plugged the tender in everything worked fine. :2tu:

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look up the item titled "Keeping The Battery Charged". My last post was on 11/4 I told how to hook up the Battery Tender. hope this note helps.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you have to hoop up the red clamp from the tender to the positive terminal for the battery and the black clamp from the tender to the negative terminal for the battery? Or am i missing something?

Thanks.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine a very simple way. I took a cigarette lighter (male) plug and soldered it to the ends of the Battery Tender (pos to pos, and neg to neg). Then when you want to put your Viper on the charger, you just remove the cigarette lighter and plug in the Battery Tender. You don't have to raise the hood. Works like a charm and as easy as pie.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PocketAA,

You said:
Don't you have to hoop up the red clamp from the tender to the positive terminal for the battery and the black clamp from the tender to the negative terminal for the battery? Or am i missing something?

Connect the Positive to the battery tap in the engine compartment.
Just connect the ground wire/clamp to ANY suitable ground; frame, ......
that IS the battery negative terminal.

Later,

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT40 has the right hook up for the low amp trickle this is. I wouldn't go over about 5 amps continuous on the lighter but the low 1-2 trickle no problem. Great idea GT40 we do the same thing when changing out a battery on a new car so computer doesn't have to do a re-learn. :2tu:

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
6594Schumacher.jpg

I have mine permanently hooked up to the same points as the battery tender shown above so that the little pigtail always stays hooked up. During the winter, I hook up the Battery Tender and let it sit in that little area next to the negative connection. The plug sticks out of the gill for hookup as the one in the picture does and you can close the hood with no problems.

If I get a chance, I'll take some pics but Hisserman's photo should be enough to get you going.

Hope this helps.
Santo

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did mine a very simple way. I took a cigarette lighter (male) plug and soldered it to the ends of the Battery Tender (pos to pos, and neg to neg). Then when you want to put your Viper on the charger, you just remove the cigarette lighter and plug in the Battery Tender. You don't have to raise the hood. Works like a charm and as easy as pie.

http://www.halonmarketing.com/mall/Output%20Cable%20Connections.php

This is just the first place Google returned in my search. Battery Tender makes one of these that's 'plug and play' if you don't feel like soldering.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a trickle charger (like a Battery Tender) from Chuck T. and mounted it behind the painted panel in front of the drivers door. It fits tight and works perfect. Best of all you cannot even see it only a small plug sticks out and does not even require opening the hood to plug in the ext. cord.