Horrific Zaino explosion!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to worry, this isn't your typical Zaino post. And no, it isn't nearly as much fun as Glenn Hofstetter's(sp?) post.

Went out to put some more miles on the GTS today (turned 15,000 on Thursday) and noticed some nasty stuff behind the rear tires: Gum! Apparently I had hit some and a few strands flew up on the rear quarter. Having experimented with the stuff before with no problems, I brought out the Goo Gone and it came off just like that (and smells good too). No problems with the paint - guessing because it is citrus based. Nonetheless, I knew I had undoubtedly taken off any Zaino and decided to reapply that area with the normal Zaino prep. That is when all hell broke loose.

I went rummaging through my Official Viper Cabinet (packed full of various Viper things that I will probably never use or look at again) in search of the proper Zaino sequence for my now-naked car. Found the Z-2. Found the Z-5 too (and why is it in a fancy "retail" bottle while the other stuff is in generic bottles?). Found the glass polish, tire gloss, a case of Z-6, and finally the one I wanted: The Z-1 Polish Lok. Wandered back with my prize to the car. Leaned in to see where I removed the gum. Popped open the flip top on the Z-1.

<center><FONT size="6"><FONT COLOR="red">BOOM!!!!</FONT s></FONT c></center>

Z-1 shot all over my otherwise clean (and very black) GTS like Old Faithful after it skipped a beat. SoCal Rebel would refer to this as "the money shot". I mean, the car was literally spattered with Z-1 on every surface except the very back end (spoiler saved it). I then looked in wonder at this little bottle that had exploded so forcefully all over the car. It looked innocent enough, but when I dumped a little out onto the cotton applicator, it looked like cooked grits (albino caviar for you folks on the left coast). It wasn't grainy or anything, just lumpy like my favorite Cream of Wheat when I was a kid.

Well, I went to work wiping the stuff off and it left what looked like little "grease" marks. I am assuming this is what happens when you apply it on top of other Zaino. A quick spray with Z-6 seemed to fix it all up just right. I then applied what I think might still be Z-1 and followed up with the Z-2. Seemed to look fine. Of course, since the humidity is ridiculous here right now (dewpoint of 80 degrees), it took a while to dry (Hey Sal, what about the secret new stuff?).

Anyway, check your Z-1 if it has been sitting for a while (over six months) and exposed to any temperature changes. Great stuff (of course), but a mild hassle when it nails your car like a can of pop shaken for ten minutes. Make sure to open it AWAY from your face, or at least towards somebody you don't like.
smile.gif

Chris

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your "money shot", but a funny story. I just opened an old bottle of Z-1 yesterday and I also noticed it was lumpy. Used it anyway. Thank god I did not get "shot"

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like fermentation due to contamination.Or is contaminated during manufacture and with no preservatives has a very short shelf life.Also could be chemical breakdown.Not stable at warmer temperatures or for extended shelf time.Which is it? Bruce

snakoil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,

Heinz catsup will do the same thing if you pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up before opening it.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sal,

Kindly send me 2 dozen of your enhanced "self-applying" bottles. As you know, Joisey law prohibits fireworks, this would be a great way to have my kids enjoy a few "poppers" and have my Snake polished at the same time!!!!

Sal, you're a genius!