How accurate is your fuel gauge?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Maybe this is just subjective, but I find that my fuel gauge goes down faster for the top half, and slower for the second. Maybe I'm just imagining things :rolleyes: And it does vary a bit depending on operating temp.
Also, even when the needle reads zero, there are still about 7 liters (a bit under 2 gallons for you American chaps) left in the tank.
I know it's not a Mercedes, just wondering...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 09 gors from full (slow to move off full ) to quick after half tank- all cars are a little differant, but yours seems normal also- but they can get a little off after some age

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same with my 99 GTS. It reads lower than what's in the tank. When I fill up to the rim the needle barely reach the max mark on the gauge. Like some said above, still have a gallon or two when the needle rests at empty but I don't make that a habit because the pump needs the fuel to cool it to live long.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:headbang: The problem I'm having is that stupid gauge goes to the left really really fast. :lmao: Sometimes I go around 100 mph & put it in neutral, but that doesn't seem to help. :lmao::lmao::lmao: ( I think it's defective ) :dunno:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Maybe this is just subjective, but I find that my fuel gauge goes down faster for the top half, and slower for the second. Maybe I'm just imagining things :rolleyes: And it does vary a bit depending on operating temp.
Also, even when the needle reads zero, there are still about 7 liters (a bit under 2 gallons for you American chaps) left in the tank.
I know it's not a Mercedes, just wondering...:rolleyes:
I've always thought this was true with ANY Vehicle! After the half way mark it Always goes down faster!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It depends on the shape of the gastank. The gauge won't read linear if a tank tapers towards the bottom. A tapered tank's volume decrease at the bottom half section, hence the quicker move of the needle towards the empty mark. The gas tank in my boat shaped like a V at the bottom to accomodate the shape of the hull in the center. The gauge needle drops pretty quick after half way especially with the volume of the tank is 85 gal. I have a special sending unit from Livorsi that consist of two aluminum tubes that reads fuel between the tubes giving out accurate bounceless readings. This unit has a computer incorporated and needs to be calibrated with the two pots, one for empty and one for full. The el cheapo sending units that are in our cars are most likely unlinear in design, unless their float arms are bent in a certain way to compensate for irregular shaped tanks. A conventional sending unit would only be accurate recording in the full to empty if it was made square/rectangular. I assume the big rig truckers with those round side tanks experience the needle going down real slow to half way and rapidly going down from there on. Unless they rely on a flow scan that's most accurate to monitor their fuel use.

Curz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine seems to show lower for the first few minutes its running then it slowly rises. I always refill when it goes below 1/2 because I
have no idea if its right

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my 94, the gauge shows full tank for about 30mi after a fill up, then it goes straight to empty. So I'm filling up randomly between 150 and 200 mile count mark.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let your trip odometer be your gauge assuming worst-case MPG . . . that works out to a refuel interval of not more than 222 miles [12 MPG * 18.5 gal].

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm kaaaaa who gets 12 mpg???
Not me . . . I'm averaging better than that since I putt around like an old lady most days . . . . I'll leave the single digit economizing to the Viper masters.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine never goes above 3/4 of a tank even when full, so I don't trust it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi