How are you rewiring the harness in your door?

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it appears that a couple of my wires in between the body and the door have become cut and need to be reconnected which seems to be a common problem. So are you guys just reconnecting the wires ( which seems would just have the same problem later) or splicing in new wiring? Also how do you work around the rubber grommet? Are you cutting it to do your work and then re melting it together?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not answering your question directly but I found the boot to shrink in length with age and had to gorilla glue it in. Worked great. As far as the wiring goes it seems to be more of an issue that the wires are slight too short, which compounded by the flexing breaks them. When it happens to me I'll splice in a section to alleviate the tension. I'll take the harness out and do it on a bench, not try to do it in situ.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do it in place. I dislodge the rubber sleeve from the door and body end. I just pull on the suspect wires (based on what isn't working) and pull out the broken one. Then I poke a coat hanger through there and pull a length of replacement wire through and splice it on each end and use some heat shrink to insulate the splices. I think that I've done it at least 3 times in 6 years.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I pulled the harness out and extended all the wires by about 10" running the new wire in between the body and door. Everything for the door is now functioning as it should and ideally now that it's new extended wiring I shouldn't have any issue

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should consider putting a DIY together for this issue, since it seems to be fairly common. I'm also having intermittent issues with my left door latch, and would like to see some pics, etc. of this repair.

Or, I could just swing by Jim's house with a six-pack and have him do it for me. :smirk:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should consider putting a DIY together for this issue, since it seems to be fairly common. I'm also having intermittent issues with my left door latch, and would like to see some pics, etc. of this repair.

Or, I could just swing by Jim's house with a six-pack and have him do it for me. :smirk:

That doesn't sound like a bad idea right there !

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
New door wiring harnesses are available (I am sure VPA can get them). I always replace them. Repaired ones seem to go bad again and I have never had a replacement go bad. Must of done 50 of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950