How can I 'fool' the coolant temp sensor

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I usually find 99.9% of my answers using search but no luck on this one. Ok, the usual temp gauge pegged on H, so it is time to R&R the coolant temp sensor (3rd one in 6 years over 3 vipers). But, I busted it off flush with the block while removing it. So two questions:

1) Anyone know of a tool that I can use to get that busted hollow brass plug out (which is full of electric grease by the way and;
2) If I can't get it out and need to take it somewhere to drill it out or whatever, can I cross a wire or something to fool the circuit 'low' so that it thinks it is running pegged (running hot)?

Otherwise it will boil over within 5 minutes with the sensor unplugged. It ran 'fine' with the temp gauge pegged before the R&R attempt so I know it can be a 'workaround'. Thanks ahead everyone.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take the new temp sensor and dip it in water 190 F. while doing this measure the resistance of the sensor. Go to radio shack and buy a resistor of comparable ohms. Plug the resistor into the wiring harness for the sensor then wrap some tape around it so it will stay temporarily, this may get you to someplace that can drill out the sensor for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. I think I can make the fan run constantly to get by which sound like the easiest route. I assume it will consistently run rich since the brain will think the motor is cold?? I may try to drill and use an stud remover bit to get that temp sensor out out. Anyone ever try this for this problem or similar?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. I think I can make the fan run constantly to get by which sound like the easiest route. I assume it will consistently run rich since the brain will think the motor is cold?? I may try to drill and use an stud remover bit to get that temp sensor out out. Anyone ever try this for this problem or similar?

You might want to call Chuck Tator (after all he IS the VIPER WIZARD!) at 1-914-763-3136. He may be able to help you out. Good Luck! ~juli

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mechanical thermostat will do some temperature regulating, depending on what your ambient temp is. If it is too hot, then it will just find equilibrium at some "normal" temp with the fan constantly on.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Sean Roe Adjustable fan control, and set the temperature for the fan to come on wherever you want.

Later,

OP
OP
A

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Roe Ajustable fan control use signals from the coolant temp sensor or it's own sensor with the kit? If it uses the factory sensor it won't work for me. Sounds like a good upgrade regardless though.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang