How can you get a deep rumble exhaust sound?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Corsa have mufflers and/or resonators? If so, remove them. My 97 GTS has just the sound you are refering to. It has stock headers, no cats and 3 inch exhaust all the way back.

david sklover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelly T:
So in other words, the current exhaust sound that I have now is pretty much it and is what all Viper owners live with?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly. just the nature of the beast. I've never heard a Viper (and I've heard many) that sounded as good as the old 97 Mustang I once had. something about the firing order..

hey, don't let it detract from the experience, regardless of the sound, can you think of any other car you'd rather have?

you can always go "vroom vrooom"
smile.gif

shiny side up
David

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never, Never will your Viper sound like a small or big block V-8. I also have Belenger headers with no cat's or mufflers and it's loud but it does not sound like my recent 70 Trans Am, 74 Corvette, 78 Z-28, 84 Corvette, 87 (Mustake)GT or my 01 Z06 which had that low rumbling you are looking for.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Butch, my old 455 Pontiac was the most awesome sounding engine ever. But you can still get a deep rumble with the V10. Keep messing with it.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get it to sound like a V-8 either remove the last 2 plug wires , or cut ou the last 2 pistons...a joke....What i did was get the Sean Roe system for my car. I have high-flow cats, and a Borla race exhaust. It sounds excellent. Maybe you can't hear it as well since the exhaust comes out the back. Mine comes out the side, so it's ear popping, right Chuck?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suppose that you are going to start saying that vipers sound like UPS trucks

You must be registered for see images

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I EXPERIMENTED WITH THIS TRYING SEVERAL DIFFERENT SET UPS. ADDING A X PIPE AT REAR WILL HELP ALOT. THATS WHAT I LEFT ON MINE AND VERY HAPPY. GET COMPLIMENTS ON IT ALL THE TIME. IT STILL MAY NOT SOUND LIKE A V8 BUT, TAKES AWAY ALOT OF THE RASPY SOUND THAT I HATED. I HAVE HAD PEOPLE SAY IT SOUNDS REALLY GOOD AT A IDLE AS WELL AS GOING DOWN THE TRACK. I'M VERY PLEASED BUT WHAT SOUNDS GOOD FOR ONE MAY NOT BE FOR ANOTHER. YOU JUST NEED TO TRY DIFFERENT THINGS UNTIL YOUR HAPPY WITH SOUND. I WOULD TRY X PIPE FIRST, VERY LOW COST FOR GOOD RESULTS.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last sportscars was a 69' Corvette Roadster with a 427/435 tri-power big block. And while because of 2 extra pistons and a different "V" angle the Viper doesn't and will never sound the same, my 2000 RT/10 has almost the same exhaust as yours and I LOVE the sound, it sounds like a freakin' Indy car at WOT. The only difference in our exhaust is I have the Belanger 3" catbacks. You may wanna they them!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I guess I want more rumble with less volume

...the thing I'm concerned about is that I don't want it any louder
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't going to happen
crying.gif
I've tried the other exhausts and the loudness goes up dramatically compared to the Corsa. They do sound different but they also get very loud. I have the same set up as you and it's by far the quietest available. Besides you don't want the Viper to sound like all the other Mustang's and Camaro's you see every day, do you? The V10 sound unique and can't be confused with a V8 Mustang.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Belanger system/no cats/4 Walker mufflers. I don't consider the sound raspy at all. As a matter of fact, I don't think a V-8 has anything over on this system and I'm a 60's guy. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. I ride with a guy that has TNT headers and the same type exhaust as me. I personally like the Belanger sound better, but the TNT is a mean sounding set up as well. When our car is idling in the garage, the upstairs windows resonate. I consider it a deep rumble at idle. Under full throttle, it's pretty much awesome sounding!

Cruising at highway speeds in 5th or 6th is not a lot different than stock. We have taken several 1000 mile trips with our car with no hearing loss I'm aware of. hehehe

Steve

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember to is that this is an aluminium block versus iron so it will not have that same deep grumble as cars of the 60's and 70's (or current muscle cars of what's left). I was disappointed at how quite my stock 99 Z28 Camaro with the it's aluminium engine (LS1) sounded compared to a 99 Mustang GT. I've got the Belanger headers and Snake Oyl's cat-back in the Viper and it sounds much better than stock but not the consistent deep rumble of iron.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just have the straight thru type bullit mufflers with no cats and I love the sound! I've heard the corsa's and didn't really much care for them. But, I like it loud..so the Corsa's would not fit me.

I too like the sound of the V-8 Rustangs, but...I prefer the V-10 sound because there's non like it around and I can always tell the sound of the Viper before I see it coming.

Antonio, your Sean Roe's system sounds awesome!! Like I've always said...I love it!