How cost effective are forged pistons

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which would be more cost effective -

put forged pistons in a newer 00 - 02 model

or

purchase an older 96 - 99 model

With that said what would be the cost to replace the pistons and more importantly what considerations should given when changing the pistons, mechanically speaking?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that a 96-99 is likely to be several thousand dollars less expensive, and already has forged pistons, the answer seems obvious. Unless you want a newer car for some other reason, and then it comes down to how much having the newer car (and ABS or whatever) is worth to YOU. I don't think that part of your question is answerable without some more facts.

On the last part, changing pistons would likely cost you around $1k for the pistons & rings, and another $1k-2k labor, assuming you don't replace anything else, but there are a lot of variables involved concerning whether you upgrade some of the other internals, how much machine work (if any) is done to the block, etc.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a set of JE forged pistons for a non-blower car if anyone is interested.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a set of JE forged pistons for a non-blower car if anyone is interested.

what is the difference in compression between the 2(n/a vs blower).

sent you a pm.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask, why do you want forged pistons because you didn't say why you wanted forged pistons.

My guess is that you must be planning to add a big sc boost and race the car all the time.

If you are not going to go for big boost and not do a whole lot of really hard running,
you are not going to see any improvement from forged pistons.

I believe the Roe blower will work fine with cast pistons.

Forged pistons are required if you are going to turn a little more rpm than a stock viper.

Forged pistons are a good idea if you might run into a little detonation.

So,
I don't know why anyone would select cast pistons by choice, but I also wonder why anyone would go to the expense of forged pistons if they wouldn't see any improvement.

Why do you want forged pistons?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And what blown application might not run into a little detonation? The causes are numerous (a tank of poor gas, a significant change in ambient air temperature, a less than perfect tune, etc.), and the potential consequences are serious. The cast pistons aren't made to run with f/i, and it is certainly a good idea to replace them if you're going that route. Can you get by with the cast pistons? Some people have and continue to do so. Others have tried and failed.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask, why do you want forged pistons because you didn't say why you wanted forged pistons.

My guess is that you must be planning to add a big sc boost and race the car all the time.

If you are not going to go for big boost and not do a whole lot of really hard running,
you are not going to see any improvement from forged pistons.

I believe the Roe blower will work fine with cast pistons.

Forged pistons are required if you are going to turn a little more rpm than a stock viper.

So,
I don't know why anyone would select cast pistons by choice, but I also wonder why anyone would go to the expense of forged pistons if they wouldn't see any improvement.

Why do you want forged pistons?

considering what you just wrote......his answer says it all "why would I want cast pistons?"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456