How do you get your hard top off your RT/10 by yourself?

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For people who are not too strong or have short arms how do you get your hard top on and off by yourself?

WITHOUT using some sort of lift I have seen here before???

My female freind is thinking about getting a Viper. She tried taking the top off my RT10 and there was NO way.

OP
OP
M

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify, I am able to get the hard top on and off by myself with no problem.

Ok let me phrase this a different way. Are there ANY woman out there who take the top on and off their Viper by themselves?

It seems people are saying that people with short arms or not too strong can not get the top on and off by themselves.

Anyone interested in buying a top which can be taken apart and stored in the trunk. ;)

OP
OP
M

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How short are her arms? And incidently does she have a flat head?

Actually my wife's freind might be coming up from Venezuela. She is a financial analyst there and she saw a pic of you from Daytona and would like to meet you.

Email me if you are interested.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not that big, about 5' 10", and I have gotten it down to an art, removing and installing the hard top solo.
:)
Its more of a balancing act than strength, tho.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually my wife's freind might be coming up from Venezuela. She is a financial analyst there and she saw a pic of you from Daytona and would like to meet you.

LOL Nice try Mike. I ain't fallin' for that one. LOL

OP
OP
M

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL Nice try Mike. I ain't fallin' for that one. LOL

LOL I am NOT kidding you. I lost your email addy. I am NOT sure if she will be coming here in June or not but if so she said she would like to see you. You met my wife and she asked if you were single for her freind. I met her freind when I was in Venezuela her English is pretty good and she is very nice. So my wife emailed her your pic and she said yes he is handsome. I told my wife what I know of you, you are a very nice guy and she asked if I would email you.

let me know if you would like more info about her, if not no biggy.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have taken it off a few times by myself. Not easy but when you have no one around you have to do what you have to do. Two people its a piece of cake. One person it isn't easy. Eating your Wheaties or drinking a Red Bull in the morning will help if you decide to take part in that arduous task...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not too hard once you get the hang of it, I would think any average or somewhat petite woman should be able to do it - once the latches are undone, they have to position themselves underneath properly in order to get the proper upward lift is the only trick.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if her arms are short she should be able to remove the Hardtop .. she needs to open the door and stand on the seat and bend over the roof and lift.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
What yellow fever said, I go inside the car after releasing the latches front and rear (rear bolts) then lift up with head and arms and work my way out of car.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have a heavy JH gen1 roof, and it was a struggle on your own but just about do-able. I used to place for 4 towels on in each corner by the latch's and lowered it onto them first, so not to scratch the paint then removed them one at a time. Same process when removing it

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if her arms are short she should be able to remove the Hardtop .. she needs to open the door and stand on the seat and bend over the roof and lift.

You lost me at ...stand on the seat... :eek: Thems for sittin' only.

Mark
:)

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sees this as a 'none problem'?

I can personally guarantee that whenever or wherever she may stop she will have plenty of males more than willing to assist her in taking off her top! All she has to do is stand by the Viper for 7.3472 seconds and at least one person will have stopped!

Bill

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, Bill. Especially if she hold up a sign that says "Help me take off my top!".

I'd be stopping....

(good looking required)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not too hard to take it off by yourself. Just get it loose, open a door and stand in close. Grab the front and back, then lift it off, step back and pull it in while tilting it 90 degrees bringing the outside of the top against you.
Make sure you don't have a big belt buckle that would scratch it.

Getting it back on by yourself is much harder because you not only have to lift it but you have to position it too.

You can scratch the bar. I get help to put it back on.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take my shoes off and put my right foot in the driver's seat, crouch under the top and then lift the top off with it balanced on my head. I can take it off standing from the side, but this way is much easier.

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From inside, push the top up with both hands until the latches clear. Rotate the top 90 degrees and set it back down longways using the sport bar and windshield as supports. Now, from either side (door open) you can grasp the top across the shorter width which makes it much easier to lift and carry. You will also be in position to turn it and set it down on one of the short sides to take up less storage room. Your lady friend could put one foot in the seat for extra leverage if needed.

A garden kneeling pad works good as a bottom rest for storage. I also fold a quilted moving blanket over the top.

Reverse to put the top back on... Just be careful to set it down easily and not drop it the last inch or so.

Kind of like the directions for putting the soft top together, use the rectangle shapes of the top and cockpit to your benefit.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You replace it with that new one made by AP Engineering that breaks apart in 3 sections and stores in your trunk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang