How do you like your filter?-KN/SB/Stock/Other

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a set of S&B's and smooth tubes from Roe Racing, that's what I have. I hear the K&N's don't fit very good and have less surface area (but I have no first hand knowledge). Dodge would not have put K&N filters into the ACR Vipers without testing first, so I would say they are safe to use.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little misnomer about the K+N air filter million mile warranty. Unlike Ron Popiels set it and forget it oven. This filter need to be cleaned and reoiled regularly. I believe the million miles is when they fall apart, not how long they stay oiled.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I've never seen a claim that stated K&N's filter better than non-ACR OEM paper/foam and since I can't feel any difference with K&N's, (#'s are meaningless to me if I can't feel it) I've reverted back to OEM for the perceived engine longevity issue, though I put them and the rain-deflectorless airbox back on for dyno use.

Not scientific by any means, just my logic.....</FONT f>

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Amsoil filters. Same flow/better dirt trapping than KN's. I clean them before storing the car. Can't comment on the S&B's--no experience.

Steve

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased smoothies and S&B's from Roe Racing, the airbox fit is perfect unlike the K&N's, also the filters are opened/cleaned up more than the K&N's around the edges giving more surface area. I've used K&N's for years but no longer, especially since I didnt have to cut-up my airbox to make them fit.
There was a marked difference in throttle response, it was very noticeable compared to the stock DC filters (which were new).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dust/grit/debris certainly enter in direct proportion to increased flow. And in proportion to filter neglect, esp of HiFlow filter maintenance. Oil dirties faster

Since MoPar and ORECA and most race teams use K+N, and K+N has a product libility policy and guarantee on the product w/ MoPar and retail users, I vote K+N.

I rotate 2 sets of K+Ns and keep 2nd set cleaned and oiled when I get around to it. Lets the oil tack-up. Change em every other oil change. I dispose of em after 2nd use. Cheap Insurance.

No fit problems, ever. Tight fit is good...loose fit is bad.

I have also read that there are "filter sprays" for FURNACE FILTERS that are tacky, but breathe. Meant to attract and trap particles much better than filter media alone. Would likley work on air filter elements!

The paper-foams are very restrictive. K+Ns gave my 93 a marked throttle-response feel, as will any Gen-1. My GTS had a noticable decibel sound from the NACA, but no detectible throttle bonus.

When checking w/ S+B a few months ago, during the initial curiosity, was told they dont even offer a filter designated/rated for the Viper or the 8.0L Dodge Ram....just a filter that may coincidently fit the airbox dimensionally. Dunno?? Was it rigid enuf to handle the draw of the big V-10? S+B did not know, and could not help.

I cannot imagine they could do any harm if they fit tight, you maintain em, and frequently change oil. As cheap as they are, we should all consider them disposable.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just some fyi:
. http://www.knfilter.com/faq.htm#10
http://www.knfilter.com/filtercharger.htm
. http://www.knfilter.com/facts.htm
What is the micron rating and filtering efficiency of the K&N filter?

K&N air filter designs are tested both in house and by independent testing laboratories for air flow, filtering efficiency and dust retention. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) establishes testing standards for automotive air filters. Independent testing of panel and round K&N air filters has confirmed an overall efficiency rating of over 99% when tested using the SAE J726 air filter test code. The test results provide scientific details including particle size, size distribution, testing methodology and results. The overall results establish the superiority of our filters against the “competition”. The OEM minimum specification is 96% with ISO (International Organization for Standardization) test dust which consists of a majority of 0 to 5 micron particles but some up to 20 microns in size. Test results showed that a paper filter has a 99.29% cumulative efficiency and a 96.47% initial pass. A K&N filter, with far less restriction than paper, has a 99.05% cumulative efficiency and a 97.11% initial pass.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The K&N is a Viper filter is fine. Far better than the stock one and does a good job of filtering out the sand, dust and debris. Concerns about honing out your cylinders with them are a little overboard.

Take the K&N, give it more filter area through better manufacturing and deeper pleats and you've got an S&B one.

You must be registered for see images

And... they actually do exist.....
smile.gif

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 05-11-2002 at 09:10 AM</font>