How do you stop the hop ???

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS wheel hops like crazy every time I try to spin the tires or when I hit 2nd gear hard. Its so violent I have to get out of it because I'm afraid something is going to break. It's also very embarrassing to have this happen in front of other people. Gearing is stock & I have new Pilots on. I have experimented with tire pressures from 20 - 40 psi. I have also check all rear end & suspension mounts & bolts. My RT 10 never did this. Can anyone help? I'm dying to do some burnouts !!

Bo

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the cheapest thing first.... Get the wheels balanced using a top-of-the-line Hunter machine. Call Tire Rack to find someone in your area.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but, has the 999 recall been performed. If not the drivers rear frame rail could be starting to split, causing an instability and you don't want it to let go. Do you feel any vibration in the rear end while driving normally? If no, you can pretty well rule out balance. Sounds more like suspension, loss of spring control.

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheels have been road forced balanced by myself and are perfect. I don't know if the recall has been done but I will look into that. Time to contact the Wizard. Anybody else have any other ideas ? Thanks for all your replies.
Bo

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you said you've checked suspension bolts, but in my case the two large bolts going through the diff housing for the torque bar were loose.

In playing with rear shock settings, I've found that it changes wheel hop a bunch. If you're still at stock settings, try 1/3 stiffer (I think it's 2.5 total turns, so add almost a turn.)

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
I didn't know the shocks were adjustable. How do you go about adjusting them ? Does this help the wheel hop problem a lot ? Thanks !
Bo

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they are Standard Koni GTS shocks you have to remove them and the springs. Push the shock (compress) all the way in and turn cw for more compression ccw for less. I would turn it cw until it stops keeping count of how may turns it takes. You might want to try 1/2 turn out as some suggest here on the forums.

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe this is the correct one for the GTS. The ACR shocks are the 2812's.

Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series

Rebound Adjustment Procedures

Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

ADJUSTING DIRECTION

* Clockwise = Firmer
* Counter Clockwise = Softer

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bo,
You said it...
Time to call and visit the Wizard.
Schedule now before he leaves for VOI.
Good luck.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That happens to me only when there are bumps on the road and I'm accelerating hard. All other fast starts are normal.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel hop seems to happen less with worn tires and more withw new. One solution is to use heavier springs. Heavier spring torque will keep the tires to the pavement. The trade off is that you might offset the suspension geometry and the car may not handle as well. I also totally agree with Avi imperfections/deviations in the road will create wheel hop under acceleration. How are the roads you are driving on?

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, what does wheel hop sound like? I am also noticing loud pop/wheel hop while accerlerating hard. It has definitely gotten worse with brand new tires and colder weather. Anything I should be worried about? I replaced my tranny mount 2 months ago and surely it's another broken mount...

Thanks

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I have new Pilots on."

Do you know how long those "new Pilots" had been around before you bought them?

I've heard of people selling brand new Pilots that had been sitting long enough to get old and hard.

It's worth checking into.

I can't tell you how to check the "build date".
Someone on here probably could.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TTT - Bo Knows - have you fixed your issue? I can't tell whether my drivetrain noise duing hard accerleration is 1)excessive wheel hop 2) broken engine mount or 3) loose exhast parts. I know it's not tranny mount as I just put energy mounts on...

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, heres the deal my fellow 97 owner. First off dont panic. the recall is almost certainly not the fault here. unless you do some serious road course beating on your car i was told by the wizard himself that the only ones he has seen or even heard of going bad were cars that did this tye of racing on their cars. i can also tell you from experience that you are very lucky that a halfshaft didnt fail by doing the hop. now to the cause of your problem, imo, of course is the fact that i bet you have never changed out your motor mounts huh! well the wheel hop will result from rotted out motor mounts causing the drive train to jump around a bit. eveident by the stick sticks movement i am sure you have when you accelerate hard or hop the wheels. the mount which most likely faied was the driver side mount. i went through this recently with my car and the wizard explained all this to me and expedited these parts out the following day. he advised to change all mounts ( 2 motor, 1 trans) as they are comprised of rubber which will rot after time, as well as miles. bear in mind my car had 8K miles when i trashed my motor mounts, the trans mount was fine looking but changed out none the less. most think it is the trans mount that is bad. most are WRONG. it is the left side motor mount which fails causing the added movement in the drivetrain in turn causing the others to start to wear or fail. i bet you take out the motor mounts had they never be touched and you will thank me soon after. dont bother, i am just passing on the knowledge of the best in the business, mr. chuck tator! after i replaced all my mounts my car drove like a brand new viper. tight as heck and no more issues! good luck.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So when you get wheel hop only when it's cold out, that's motor mounts?
I hardly think so.
actually my friend you are not reading my post which is clearly responding to the original thread not those who chimed in afterwards regarding cold weather hop, ok. cold weather hop is a direct result of limited traction PERIOD! this is why people do burnouts at dragstrips, to warm the tires. every car with a vipers power will either spin or hop in the cold if given too much gas. and when my friend puts his car on a lift and sees his mounts he will see how right i am. once again your guilty of jumping into the shallow end head first partner. :2tu:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The original post does not specify wheather it does it when it is or isn't cold.

However your post states a very specific problem that you encountered and doesn't take into consideration the possibilities that exist outside your little world.......partner :rolleyes:

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The original post does not specify wheather it does it when it is or isn't cold.

However your post states a very specific problem that you encountered and doesn't take into consideration the possibilities that exist outside your little world.......partner :rolleyes:
1. Your right mr. wonderful, the original post does not state the problem is weather responsible. anyone with intelligence greater than yours knows that cold weather and tire traction can be directly linked. i made comments directed to the others thinking it was related to weather issues.
2. let me tell you about my little world. call chuck tator and ask him how common an issue it is for a viper to experience these problems and how often he ships out mounts to customers who had them fail on them. then read all the posts regarding peoples comments on how their gear shift moves side to side under accel. and what it always ends up as being the culprit.
3. i have yet to see you contribute any significant shread of usefulness since seeing the many incredibly rude posts by you. seems like you enjoy sarcasim rather than to spend 5 minutes offering some useful info to help this guy out.
4. didn't your mommy ever tech you if you hadn't anything useful to say, "shut the f&*k up! oh it must have been your uncle v10kingsnake.
5. theres :eek: a place for slime like you at another site and its not here. move along, the kingsnake has spoken.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Your right mr. wonderful, the original post does not state the problem is weather responsible. anyone with intelligence greater than yours knows that cold weather and tire traction can be directly linked. i made comments directed to the others thinking it was related to weather issues.

Thank you pointing out I'm right! And I'm sure the others that had made comments about cold weather hop and other solutions they have come across for there specific problem will be thrilled you are unwittingly running them down. Twit!
2. let me tell you about my little world. call chuck tator and ask him how common an issue it is for a viper to experience these problems and how often he ships out mounts to customers who had them fail on them. then read all the posts regarding peoples comments on how their gear shift moves side to side under accel. and what it always ends up as being the culprit.
Common YES! But not always the case. Hence, your little world!
3. i have yet to see you contribute any significant shread of usefulness since seeing the many incredibly rude posts by you. seems like you enjoy sarcasim rather than to spend 5 minutes offering some useful info to help this guy out.
Try the seach button! You'll find several over the years.
But there you go again talking out of school thinking you have it all figured out, but in reality, you haven't done your homework. If you had you wouldn't be making uneducated statements like above.
And let's talk about contributions shall we. Have you joined the VCA yet? My dues have been paid in full the last four years.
4. didn't your mommy ever tech you if you hadn't anything useful to say, "shut the f&*k up! oh it must have been your uncle v10kingsnake.

The only ones that have a problem with me are the jackasses I ride like you!
A prime examle is the statement you made above. "Didn't your mommy ever teach you yadda yadda" Then you say it must have been my uncle v10kingsh!t! It doesn't make sense geash, go back and finish grade six dude!
5. theres :eek: a place for slime like you at another site and its not here. move along, the kingsnake has spoken.

If you're refering to the Alley, well I'm a gold contributer there also.
The Kingsnake has spoken LMAO you are delerious!

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gee let me see, i have the kuhmos too, didnt work when you have bad motor mounts, in fact, i was told by the wizard that the added power of nitrous and the addition of the sticky kuhmos is undoubtedly a major contributing factor in the recent failure. kuhmos will help with wheel hop. HELP being the key word here. but it is by no mean a cure all. i am sure i am not the only person on here that owns kuhmos and got the wheel hop issues. in fact i have many friends on this board i shared those issues with. And I dont see how your dues being paid up has given you any right to be an a- hole. I go to the viper events, I race my car, I give people help when I see them traveling down a path I once traveled, and I dont put others down for viewing their personal opinions. especially when they are shared by others as well. Especially ones shared by someone as respected as the wizard himself. You Tracy started the lashing out and childish sarcasism and now your upset because once again I made you my beeotch. Don't go away mad, JUST GO AWAY. By the way big spender, what kind of contribution is needed to earn the gold status over at the alley. I think it was a 10 spot last I looked. BIG SPENDER. should have taken that money and bought yourself some better comebacks if you feel like playing in this ball game. Oh, and your attempt at gaining popularity in this thread is weak making the accusation I was putting others down for their input on the tires. Others here know I respect what they say and acknowledge the legitamacy of their claims, to an extent I agree with them. But also respectfully disagree with what I believe is the cause. I will await your hilarious attempt at insults to my latest posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960