How does it work buying a car from one dealer & servicing it at another?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have done this. You buy your car from a nationally known dealer like ____insert_name_of_big_VCA_supporter_here____ for their knowledge, inventory, pricing and of course to support a site supporter. But for practical considerations, it is just not feasible to take your car all the way back to __insert_rural_state_here__. So you bring it to the local dealer for warranty work.

So how does it work going to the second dealer? Any hassles getting them to do the warranty work? Do they treat you the same? Any animosity cuz you bought it elsewhwere?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will work as well as the relationship you establish with the Service manager and the Viper Tech(s) works. A smart dealer knows that he or she can do well providing the required maintainence for a Viper and, if the word of mouth about that dealer spreads, the dealership will get other VCA and SRT business. A smart Viper owner knows that the people who really know how to service a Viper properly are special and should be treated accordingly.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i do it all the time. ANY dealer will be thrilled to have a new service and parts customer.

OP
OP
C

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a way, it's obvious that sales and service are two different animals. The sales guys will do anything for you, but once the car is sold, its over. The service guys act like you have to go there (which you don't) so they can treat you like crap. In this day and age, the little Mom and Pop dealerships are sucked up by giant corporate entities. So your local choices are even more limited. My local dealer was just such a story. Great Sales and Service, but when they got bought up by the local Conglomerate, they were more interested in selling and servicing Jeeps and Magnums. And it showed. And when they called and asked if I would buy a new Viper from them, they were shocked when I said no.

Anyway, I just wondered how much worse it would be if there was not even a Sales relationship at the dealer and you walked in cold.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont sweat it. and dont accept crappy service or crappy attitudes from the service people. they are lucky when we bring a vehicle to them, they dont deserve anything. and we should be treated as such. tators is a good example of this. he appreciates his customers and treats them well.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did exactly what you are concerned about. Bought my car from a dealer about 1000 miles away & have it serviced locally.

The city where I live doesn't have many Vipers, perhaps 5 or 6, so the local dealership woudn't be able to justify a Viper Tech.

Still, they do a pretty good job, and have bent over backwards to ensure I am satisfied, oh and by the way, I am not sure how big they are, but they have other dealerships in other cities.

Unfortunately I live about 3,000 miles from Tator's, or he would certainly get all my service work. I have spoken to the Wizard, and purchased things from him, and was very impressed with his approach to business. (Think I could get him to move?)