How late into the season do you all drive???

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's getting cold up here in NJ. No sand or salt on the roads yet, and I still love taking it out for a cruise.

Do some of you drive through the winter?

When do most of you tuck it away officially?

Just curious...

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Granted I am not some modification phaze I will drive it as much as I can when there is not snow on the ground. I was driving it in chicago once on a cold day. When I left work there was about .3 inches of snow and I was all over the place. I wish chains were legal.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday they salted the roads. It will be a while now. I try to go for a 30 minute ride about every 30 days. Sometimes the salt will get washed away and then it turns cold to keep everthing frozen. Thats when I go for a blast. Satisfies me for couple / three weeks. My wife notices an attitude change (like night and day).

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Off the road as of 11/1 and back on in April, in time for Tator's BBQ.
coolant changed
oil changed
brakes fluid changed
wheels off and washed
wheel wells armoraled
suspension and under-carriage wiped down
clutch fluid changed
? coats of zaino and silver bullets till then :2tu:

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont drive quite as much during the winter as I do during the warm months here in Texas, but I still drive it year round!

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine until the first snow/salt/sand. Then it's tucked away for the winter. I try to start it every two weeks and back it onto the driveway to let it warm up. It's also hooked to a battery tender during the winter. A great time to do mods and maintenance! :2tu:

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Year round here in Mo. unless there's salt on the road. Then I wait for a rain to wash it off before I venture out again. Salt dust can get up in the bodywork and then moisture sets in and King Corrosion can start. :eek:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was 15F this morning, just a little left over snow dust (or was that salt?) on the road. I find you have to close the doors when scraping ice off the front window or it falls into the car. The vinyl windows need cleaning, right now it's hard to see through them due to glare. The back window never needs ice scraped off because of the little overhang of the sport bar. Fill the windshield washer bottle (how many Vipers still have the factory fill washer fluid inside?) It takes a while for the inside to warm up because it's a little drafty around the center console (got to replace the rubber sheet under the shifter.) Even with the heat on full, probably 15 minutes. Tires take about that long, too, and even so the rears seem more squirrelly until the sun warms the roads. After all that, though, it's always a "good air" day when it's cooler out.

Compared to the cars of the 70's, the corrosion resistance of these frames will outlive us, I think. My plan is that I drive this one until the car falls apart, then I find a new one from one of you and start over again. Only have 67,000 miles, wish I lived further from work. (Well, right now, wish I had some work.) Unless there is snow on the ground, it goes.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold doesn't prevent me from driving, but an abundance of SAND from a privious snow fall will have me waiting until the majority either migrates out of the travel lanes or is washed away by a good rain. This sometimes takes a month or 2 as it did last year. Seems like every week we were getting some kind of "frozen stuff from hell".

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually between the second and third snowfall. This year--November 9th. It was 3 degrees this morning and we've probably had about 2 feet of snow so far. The roads are well salted from mid November until mid April. The beast is at rest till Spring

Steve

OP
OP
T

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took it out for a quick spin after work :headbang:

Some messy weather heading our way this weekend though

It may hibernate for a while if they bust that sand out...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys in SoCal have nice Viper weather all through the winter while we are freezing, but you don't have..... Well, I'm thinking.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's the sunny season, which is the ten months a year that the hardtop stays locked in it's storage bin.
And this must be the winter season, where I keep the hardtop on the Viper while driving it (mostly).
Just in case it rains.

-Dean.

Brad_Milde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the real question here is, "How late in the season do you RT/10 folks drive with the top off?" The answer for me is, ALL YEAR ROUND. And yes, I've been in the car with the top off when it's been below freezing. Well, actually, we don't have a top for it--sold it because we never used it in 5 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery