How long will a gen II last?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a pretty open ended question, but how many years should I expect my Viper to last? I think the Gen IIs are classics, and want to keep my car as long as it still runs.

I use it as a daily driver (It’s pretty much what I drive excluding going to and from work, and when it snows out). I see about 12,000 miles / year, and currently have 23,000 miles on it. I get all the required maintenance and the car has been completely trouble free so far.

I’m guessing 10 years…am I way off?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I personally think these cars can run for a very long time as a long as you take care of them. I have had mine apart and kknow the engine somewhat, but oil change, system flush..blah..blah..blah..good news they don't seem to be too complex to rebuild either.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It should last as long as you want it to last. Personally, even if my motor blew up, I'd rebuild it bigger and badder.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it all depends on the owner. Let me state the obvious: Any vehicle will last as long as you *want* it to, and are willing to care for it and fix it when it needs. It all depends on what your threshold is for "I'd rather replace it" instead of "fix it". With something like the Viper - limited production, highly sought after, etc - its more likely that the urge to fix it will out-weigh the replace it urge, which will mean that more expensive things will get fixed instead of the car being sold or junked

In the specific case of the Viper, it doesn't seem to be any more prone to failure than any other domestically-built car.

I agree that it should last a long time, depending on what you do to it. I know of a number of gen 1's with 80k-150k miles on them so far, with nothing major wrong - despite the known gen 1 problems (thermostat housing gasket, head gasket, etc). How long is a long time?

I also drive mine to work almost every day, and see no reason not to. Like many people here, I didn't buy it to be a garage queen or an investment, I bought it because it was fun.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a guy who drives a 289 cobra as his daily driver, he has been doing it for the past 25 years. The car has a total of 280k miles on it, and still looks good.

The most important thing is to maintain everything, not just the obvious mechanical components.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe longer than the global oil supply lasts, not to mention effects of probable coming draconian regulations affecting fuel consumption in the next decade or two...

Take care of it - it will be in a museum some day. Plenty of 57 chebbies, Vettes, and T-birds still rolling...

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take care of it like you want it to last forever, and with the proper maint. and attention, it will! :2tu:

Take care of the problems that occur quickly, so they don't get bigger, always helps too.

And send it to Heffner every couple years for his NEW Goodies and he'll make sure it's running like it should. :D

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
15 year life span if driven hard, 18 years driven soft depending on other variances like between washing and what kind of water you used (well water or city water). Also depends on driver weight on suspension and amount of gas in car also in relation to the weight on the shocks and suspension. If the car is in the south which gets more sunshine on average of 20% per year, I would subtract 20% of the life span off and more if used in winter in a salt environment.

These figures, of course, are based on ownership of cars in North America and derived from Gen II stats not necessarily RT/10's or GTSs but a mixture of both. Studies from GenI's have not been finished as of yet.

Feel free to PM for more details

Gerald