How low does your gas gauge go before you run out of gas?

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is where my gas gauge was before I filled her up with 18.1 gallons. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas gauges are not precise instruments. It seems that there is a significant variation between cars.

A full tank on most Vipers reads full for quite a while, and then when it drops it seems to go fast.

The first quarter tank lasts a lot longer than the last quarter.

The only way to know for sure is to put a spare gas can in your car, and drive till empty. Then dump in the fuel and drive to a gas station.

In my Gen II it went quite a ways below empty till it ran out.

(YMMV)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with the above, they are certainly non-linear. However, even if you do as Paul suggests. do you think you can really tell the difference between empty and half a gallon left? Maybe your question was just an academic one, if so never mind!

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you all noticed that the has gauge moves significantly when you depress the throttle and then raises back when coming to rest at a traffic light?

OP
OP
A

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda wondered why anyone would let it get that low to start with..

I was autocrossing and wanted a near empty tank. When I left the course I was just above empty. I needed to go pickup my grandaughter and totally lost track of how low it was. Luckly I noticed it and filled er up. Once my gas gauge get to 1/4 it goes REALLY FAST. Like in 30 miles it at empty. So anytime that I'm below half I stop and fillup. But not this time.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree...why even have a discussion like this...you should not be letting it get lower than quarter tank..otherwise your fuel pump will weaken and youll find yourself footing up some serious dough to replace it...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of the best mileage I have ever gotten. 2.2 mpg at Buttonwillow. Needed to refuel at lunch time to get through the day. Best fun per gallon ever : >)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960