How many are going to wait for the srt viper acr

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't trust boosted and computer driven car's claimed lap times. It's far too easy for Nissan to send a GTR to the Ring with increased boost and more aggressive transmission settings; settings that would destroy a daily driven car in short time. Same goes for the ZR1, they could have tweaked more out of their track car vs the street car.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't trust boosted and computer driven car's claimed lap times. It's far too easy for Nissan to send a GTR to the Ring with increased boost and more aggressive transmission settings; settings that would destroy a daily driven car in short time. Same goes for the ZR1, they could have tweaked more out of their track car vs the street car.

Interesting you bring that up... Makes me recall Chris Harris' note re: how Ferrari does something similar to what you described.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'

Great article. Hadn't seen that before

Thanks! Yah, I was pretty pissed after reading that... Chris Harris one of those polarizing personalities that people either seem to love or hate, but I'm a fan, and I have even more respect for him after reading that...

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Gen 4s a lot so in order to convince me to move to a Gen 5 they would have to have a Vert or an ACR. If I went with a Vert to replace my Gen 4 Vert it would have to be in a kick asp color. I have Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes and everyone loves the color. If I go with an ACR it would have to be faster than my Gen 4 ACR and would have to look as aggressive.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting you bring that up... Makes me recall Chris Harris' note re: how Ferrari does something similar to what you described.

I remember the Ford GT test with the Carrera GT and Enzo Ferrari from the early 2000's. The FGT did lowish 11's @ 131mph about right there with the CGT but the Enzo beat em both. If you bought into that article you would come away as I did thinking the FGT is in the same performance league as those two cars stock to stock. However none of the FGT owners ever got anywhere close to that performance bone stock to the tires. Im sure we the public have always been duped by mag tests for decades because of this practice. I congrat Chris Harris for telling it like it is.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, I hadn't heard that about the FGT before... that is really disappointing that manufacturers would try to game the system and, in the case of Ferrari, try to limit people's access to cars because they are stock. Such BS. After reading that article on Ferrari, I can say that they are no longer a viable choice for me.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, I hadn't heard that about the FGT before... that is really disappointing that manufacturers would try to game the system and, in the case of Ferrari, try to limit people's access to cars because they are stock. Such BS. After reading that article on Ferrari, I can say that they are no longer a viable choice for me.

On the bright side, look at the money you will save not having to buy all the stoopid Ferrari shirts, shoes and hats...:)

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the New Viper is everything we could ask for. It is like combining ever car into one Ultimate version. I like that the GEN IV ACR will be the last of the Pure drivers Vipers that is a bit rough on the edges. I will keep my car.

that is the best excuse i could think of.

Bruce

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder....Viper GTS routinely trounced any Ferrari that the magazines threw at it in several tests dating back from 97 to about 02. If I remember correctly the only time it lost a top speed shootout was to the 550 Maranello and that was 188-192mph. The previous year a different GTS did indeed hit 192mph though. Then the Z06 came out and it was trouncing the Prancing Horse too lol. I wonder how long Ferrari has been cheating with these mag tests. I wonder if the cheating began when the Viper/Z06 started embarassing them on mag track tests?

I still like Ferrari because of its history and some really sweet historic/race/road cars. I think they need to send their current designers back to school though. Some pretty hideous designs in the past few years. The last modern designs I absolutely liked were the F40, F355 and Modena. F40 will always be my favorite.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder....Viper GTS routinely trounced any Ferrari that the magazines threw at it in several tests dating back from 97 to about 02. If I remember correctly the only time it lost a top speed shootout was to the 550 Maranello and that was 188-192mph. The previous year a different GTS did indeed hit 192mph though. Then the Z06 came out and it was trouncing the Prancing Horse too lol. I wonder how long Ferrari has been cheating with these mag tests. I wonder if the cheating began when the Viper/Z06 started embarassing them on mag track tests?

I still like Ferrari because of its history and some really sweet historic/race/road cars. I think they need to send their current designers back to school though. Some pretty hideous designs in the past few years. The last modern designs I absolutely liked were the F40, F355 and Modena. F40 will always be my favorite.

My favorite story is when Pontiac brought out its GTO. A magazine compairson tested the Pontiac GTO against a Ferrari GTO. The Pontiac won. Years later the magazine admitted the Pontiac GTO had no resemblence to the car being sold in the show room. In fact, the Pontiac GTO was trucked in with a crew of engineers and mechanics and was "tuned" to the death. There was a time when these compairson tests were really a competiton between the the engineering departments and not the cars. All test cars are "supplied" by the manufacturer. All compairson test should be viewed with suspicion. Lap times at a certain track in Germany fall under the same suspicion. :2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not me. You can already get the sticky tires etc. And in reality none drive fast enough on a regular basis to make x-tra downforce usefull. GTS Bruce

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it looks like the GTSR, and can perform better then the present ACR...I'm all in. Otherwise I'll just have to suffer along with my Gen 4 :)

+1 Except I want more power and a price of no more than $115k. I have a '08 Coupe and am not a big fan of the look and minor improvements of the Gen V Coupe. The new C7 ZR1 (and maybe Z06) will be possible alternatives... .

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except one thing, I truly believe the ZR1 is over rated. Same rwhp as a Gen IV. Sorry if it disappoints anyone, but when Chevy claims 638HP, it is false advertisement.

The crank HP/TRQ of the ZRI will not be overrated--but might be underrated. GM HP is SAE verified. Now on a hot day, a FI car may experience less power than a NA car. Maybe this is what you are talking about.

In addition, while Ring times are AWESOME for general benchmarks and comparisions, with comparable cars they mean little to the driving most of us will ever experience, even through participation in HPDEs. Btw, did anyone note that the Ring is headed for BK?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite story is when Pontiac brought out its GTO. A magazine compairson tested the Pontiac GTO against a Ferrari GTO. The Pontiac won. Years later the magazine admitted the Pontiac GTO had no resemblence to the car being sold in the show room. In fact, the Pontiac GTO was trucked in with a crew of engineers and mechanics and was "tuned" to the death. There was a time when these compairson tests were really a competiton between the the engineering departments and not the cars. All test cars are "supplied" by the manufacturer. All compairson test should be viewed with suspicion. Lap times at a certain track in Germany fall under the same suspicion. :2tu:

Sad but true....It seems everything in this world is an illusion...Cant believe the news, politicians, tv etc. Even something as simple as car comparison brings out the lies. Man, once money is involved the integrity of anything goes out the window....So sad indeed.

In certain circles the Vipers accomplishments on the Ring are suspect as well. Just check out the Lambo forums. I just read the Aventador did a 7:25 at the Ring which has them scratching their heads at how the Viper can beat it that badly. To be fair the Aventador time was by Sport Auto which notoriously gets much slower times than factory drivers..Take that for what its worth lol..

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crank HP/TRQ of the ZRI will not be overrated--but might be underrated. GM HP is SAE verified. Now on a hot day, a FI car may experience less power than a NA car. Maybe this is what you are talking about.

In addition, while Ring times are AWESOME for general benchmarks and comparisions, with comparable cars they mean little to the driving most of us will ever experience, even through participation in HPDEs. Btw, did anyone note that the Ring is headed for BK?

Sorry man, not true. There is ZERO reason for the ZR1 to have a significantly higher drivetrain % loss over a Z06 or a regular Vette. But, if you believe the claimed HP numbers, magically it does. It's 0-60 comparison with the Gen IV Viper proves that is makes no more power than a Gen IV, maybe even a little less under the curve. I'm not knocking the ZR1 per say because I do think it is a great car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang