How many ft/lbs to torque down oil pan bolts?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's spec'd in inch-pounds. I think the conversion is somewhere around 11 lb-ft. or, not much at all. About a moderate wrist-only snug with a 3/8" ratchet is all it takes.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I get to correct GTS Dean!! Correct oil pan bolt torque per my manual is 11 N-m or 95 in lbs or approximately 8 ft lbs. Ron, you're starting to get serious about this Viper modifying stuff, aren't you?? Its probably time to get a manual...

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Cone:
Man, I get to correct GTS Dean!! Correct oil pan bolt torque per my manual is 11 N-m or 95 in lbs or approximately 8 ft lbs. Ron, you're starting to get serious about this Viper modifying stuff, aren't you?? Its probably time to get a manual...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry you got that right, from 5/12 to 6/12 I'll have 12 track days(7 down 5 to go). I'm putting the trap doors in my oil pan, I can hear a little oil starvation when I fly down the front straight at Willow Springs brake hard and make the hard left. Maybe it is time for a manual, any certain kind or just a Viper shop manual?

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, get the factory manual. It has all of the information that you need....

I can help you with suggestions on oiling problems. You definitely need to make some changes to prevent damage. Feel free to email Janni or I. Or better yet, call us at home at (919)782-3495....

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toddt:
Ron--do you have the factory racing oil pan?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd I have the factory 10 quart oil pan in my '00. There is enough oil in the pan but now that I am starting to go, stop and turn very fast on the Hoosiers the oil sloshes around too much and sometimes not enough oil gets "picked up". I bought and installed the trap door and windage tray kit from JonB. It was a very easy install and should solve the pick up problem. I think pre '00 Vipers need a bigger oil pan, I've seen with my own two eyes a '97 GTS put 3 holes in his block at WSIR because of oil starvation.