How many miles before you should change the fuel filter? Not in owners manual ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be at the dealership tomorrow getting my door wiring harness fixed from a couple broken wires.

I was thinking of having them do the fuel filter too since I heard its a pain in the butt to do without a lift.

PLUS, I cant seem to find a replacement filter at my local AutoZone ... and I am sure the dealer will have one on hand.

My car is a 2001 GTS with 22k miles on it.

Do you think now is a good time to get it changed or should I wait for more miles to get tacked on?

How many miles are recommended before changing the filter?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: How many miles before you should change the fuel filter? Not in owners manual --

I'm not sure as to time or mileage...but have had Mr, Sessions change all of our Gen I's & II's in last year/

OEM filter often in short supply. If your dealer does not have one, I have heard/read that a NAPA Gold fuel filter will work. While I have no experience with it...here is the info:

Fuel Filter (Gold)Part Number: FIL 3325
Product Line: NAPA Gold Filters

You could also skip this step until you have OEM filter...or at least recheck my info.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: How many miles before you should change the fuel filter? Not in owners manual --

I've heard that longevity can also be a factor for getting it changed. I think the “quick disconnect” can get gummed up with stuff over the years and THAT is what makes it a pain to get off. Mine was a ’95 and it wasn’t bad (after about 15 years), but when I put it back on, I apparently didn’t get it snug enough. That inevitably caused it to pop off and spew petrol all over the asphalt at work when I was trying to start it (embarrassing). :mad: I don’t have any experience with the 2001 though…:dunno:

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you both ... I will add it to the list of maintenance to get taken care of ASAP :) ---

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The WIX unit from O'Reillys works fine too. Can be a bear to do, not conceptually hard, practically difficult to deal with those quick-connect fittings (they'd be much easier if they were quick-disconnect!)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

A tip from a guy who KNOWS what he is doing (NOT me !!) ....If the fuel inflow end of the filter does not EASILY disconnect from the filter...STOP, and expose this connection by going through the left rear fender well by taking down the splash liner at the top. You do NOT want to break the hose running from the pump in the tank to the filter !!! For one, the replacement is not readily available...and for two, you'll scare yourself when you cannot find that part listed for a 2001 Viper in the dealer's computer...solution is to order that part for a 2002 Viper. Good luck !!

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and he said that the only way to change the filter is to get into the gas tank?

Is that true? If so, he recommends I only change it when its time to change the fuel pump too.

From reading on here I was under the impression that the filter was outside the tank (stock setup, not something someone added)? ---

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Your dealer is flat WRONG...therefore, I suspect little or no Viper experience. And, if that is the case, I would not trust them with fluid changes. RUN !!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your dealer is flat WRONG...therefore, I suspect little or no Viper experience. And, if that is the case, I would not trust them with fluid changes. RUN !!

You must be registered for see images attach

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The dealer is definitely wrong....its readily accessible with the fender liner opened up. The person who told you that has never worked on a Gen 1/2. Time to find someone in your area who knows Vipers!

I think its called a quick-connect fitting because it makes hooking everything up AT THE FACTORY easy....as in "speeds up the production line"....of course at the expense of labor later...which is either money in Dodge's pocket or a pain in the neck for the owner.

On balance probably a good business decision but unfortunate for us when we have to change it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is the fuel-filter quick connect fitting the same as the fuel line quick connect fitting behind the intake? I found the one on the fuel line to the intake easy to work with.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

As I recall...it is the same. And, YES...the one you mentioned seems much easier...probably because it is more "reachable".

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Listen to Steve on this one, RUN, RUN, RUN! As a matter of fact, you ought to ask him why he thinks that (I'd be curious as to what his answer is) And if he wasn't ABSOLUTELY SURE, why he would tell you that. I wouldn't let them do anything else to the car. jmo

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He told me if I had an external fuel filter it was because someone added it ... he would look for it and replace it if he found it if I wanted, LOL.

Someone explain to me a "viper tech" ... is this something that EVERY big dealership is supposed to have , or just certain dealerships have them?

This was the service advisor talking to me, not the actual mechanic. ---

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

No the Gen 1 and 2's have an external filter as described. Use some WD 40 on the connection and a pair of long needle nose plyers. It you really have an issue remove the wheel housing. There is also a filter at the fuel pump inlet in the tank. We usually do not change these, only when the pump fails.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He told me if I had an external fuel filter it was because someone added it ... he would look for it and replace it if he found it if I wanted, LOL.

Someone explain to me a "viper tech" ... is this something that EVERY big dealership is supposed to have , or just certain dealerships have them?

This was the service advisor talking to me, not the actual mechanic. ---

Something that larger dealerships USED to have. Few if any Gen 1/2 techs are still around at dealerships in my experience. Finding a tech at a shop in your neighborhood is the best bet.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and he said that the only way to change the filter is to get into the gas tank?

Is that true? If so, he recommends I only change it when its time to change the fuel pump too.

Do not let them touch your car as they obviously have no idea *** they are doing. There is a screen bag in the tank that is not serviceable. The fuel filter is completely serviceable just a huge PITA.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why go through the hassle until it becomes an issue? Fuel starvation at full throttle? Change it. Until then, enjoy it. Unlike an air filter, you'll know when it becomes a problem.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can someone explain why they call them quick connect connectors? Should be named PIA connectors :)

Connectors and fasteners are made by engineers. They get their jollies out of building new stuff that require new tools (which they also get to design), typically over-engineered, over-valued, cheaply made and unsupportable 90% of the time. I work with computer geeks - same thing.

I got an engineer buddy of mine who is probably close to genius IQ. He designs cardboard packing. Can you believe it? He sits at a computer with some uber powerful superduper CAD software and designs cardboard boxes to put stuff in.

acode390, when you get your filter pick up some replacement disconnect-connects-or-whatever-they're-called. You might damage one during the filter change. They're only about $7. They come two to a package, each a different size. One fits the line, the other is for setting on a concrete slab and smashing to bits with the biggest hammer you can find. Do it. It's very therapeutic.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why go through the hassle until it becomes an issue? Fuel starvation at full throttle? Change it. Until then, enjoy it. Unlike an air filter, you'll know when it becomes a problem.

How good of a job does the in-tank filter bag do? Will it catch most of the contaminants before they even have a chance to get to the external-filter?

Shouldnt the in-tank filter bag get clogged and cause problems before the external-filter will even get a chance to clog up ... or will the in-tank just catch the big stuff and the external the small stuff? ---

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I changed my fuel filter at 140,000 miles. I didn't notice a difference.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thoughts as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang