How many of you track your Vipers?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question (not to hijack) for you guys that do this. I really want to get on a track, but don't want to go "balls out", just have fun at my own pace, is there anything like that available, or is it always a race or as fast as you can go or?????
I did a track day on the old Siverstone track, There were many more experienced drivers out there on track and it had also been raining, so taking my baby round the track on Pilot sport 1s was not ideal, I had smaller cars like Lotus exige flying past me and if i'm really honest I did not enjoy it. Even had a Ferrari Spin in front of me!

I now generally stick to charity fun rides, We go out on Test tracks and the Top Gear track with about 8 supercars at a time but we have strict rules about overtaking and everyone respects other people and their cars. We still get to go flat out but you dont have to worry about anyone trying to pass you on the inside of a bend ;)

Lots of the Guys in the UK go to the Ring in Germany, but seeing the amount of crashes and bad driving on many Youtube videos, I would be very cautious about going on track!

But.....If it was a track day in the USA, with only Vipers on track I would jump at it :1up:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful what you post here with your street car and tracking. The insurance companies check these sites if you ever have a particular type of claim and NOT just a track event. I learned the hard way a few years ago with USAA. Its amazing what they can pull up in order to stall or even not pay a claim.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful what you post here with your street car and tracking. The insurance companies check these sites if you ever have a particular type of claim and NOT just a track event. I learned the hard way a few years ago with USAA. Its amazing what they can pull up in order to stall or even not pay a claim.

How could they possibly deny a claim not related to a track event? Has this actually happened?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more thing. Watching YouTube videos or playing Forza will actually help you learn the line at RA. I'm an instructor and I do notice that students who claim to "know the track" because of Forza (or Gran Tourismo....can't remember which one) actually do learn the line quicker than folks who haven't done a lot of laps on the video screen. They also think it makes them great first lap, but they're wrong about that! ;-)
thanks, im going there in mid november--------

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been roadracing my '01 GTS for 2 yrs, had a Z06 before as a track car for 6 yrs.

It is by far the most fun you will have with your clothes on! Haha!

Like everyone's said, start off with long shirt/pants, driving shoes, SA2005+ helmet and have some fun in the beginner's group with no pressure!

There's 7 of us here that run Mid Ohio course, pm me if you would like info. We will be there this weekend with PCA, I instruct with them. Hang with us and check it out sometime, jump in my car with me and you can see what it's like:)

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Never. Vipers are meant to be stored in a climate control garage and never touch pavement.

Last edited:

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Attachments

• 18997.jpg
    18997.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street legal, night road racing...one of the few places in the world where they offically shut down the public highway to do this...Isle of Man TT circuit...150mph on narrow bumpy street roads, bushing peoples garden walls and bouncing off straw bales around the street lighting posts, and a crowd that's wild for it :headbang:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have watched that on tv before- crazy things happen there- unreal, people stand 5 feet from screaming monsters flying down roads half out of control at times

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street legal, night road racing...one of the few places in the world where they offically shut down the public highway to do this...Isle of Man TT circuit...150mph on narrow bumpy street roads, bushing peoples garden walls and bouncing off straw bales around the street lighting posts, and a crowd that's wild for it :headbang:

:rolaugh: That's got to be the fastest moving Hay bail ever :D Or is that camouflage :D

Great pic

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pic of a couple of us at Mid Ohio

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron, I love ya man, but that picture is so old I'm surprised it's color.

So anybody out there road race their Viper (I know stupid question) they always a photographer in one corner so if you have a pic post it. If not speak up anyway. Here's me at turn #4 at Willow Springs a few years ago, almost lifted the front right off the ground :D

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ron, great pictures and by the way did folks mention how slenderizing the black driver's suit is on you!? I definitely need to get a new one in that color also ,ha.ha.

Good post and it is really hard not to track your Viper. I didn't for a few years and one day in a friends ACR on the track and it was time to trade the 04 in and get a track beast. The one single element to purchase first, to go faster on any course, is not headers, or PCMs , or even tires --- get a harness belt ( I prefer Teamtech) and keep yourself strapped in. With the Gs these machines are capable of, staying put in the seat is critical to fast times and enhances your car control. Every other item ( upgrade) follows , in my opinion.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely was cooking, but that is at Mid America Motorplex, and it will be interesting to see if that track comes back - it was under water for a long time when the Missouri River flooded. I have probably 6000 miles or more on that track , so bit tough if it ends up closed. We have Motorsports Park Hastings ( www.racemph.com ) which is an unbelievable track about 3 hours down the road, and at 4 hours away , we can run at Heartland Park , Topeka. With three tracks this close , it makes it fun for Trackrats in the Midwest.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have zero track experience and envy what you all are doing. What do you recommend as the progression? Do I start with a beginner PDE NARRA event in my area? Next weekend's Viper Days event in Daytona doesn't have a learning class.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have zero track experience and envy what you all are doing. What do you recommend as the progression? Do I start with a beginner PDE NARRA event in my area? Next weekend's Viper Days event in Daytona doesn't have a learning class.

Try getting on the PBOC website as they were offering instructors. See if they have any open spots left. Daytona isn't the best place to learn as you can go fastest you will ever go on a track on Daytona. The track itself isn't hard but the speeds can lead some real serious stuff. Make sure your tires are in very good shape and you have fresh brake fluid if you do come to the event. Your FR will take a TON of abuse @ this track and you'll be braking from very high speeds

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try getting on the PBOC website as they were offering instructors. See if they have any open spots left. Daytona isn't the best place to learn as you can go fastest you will ever go on a track on Daytona. The track itself isn't hard but the speeds can lead some real serious stuff. Make sure your tires are in very good shape and you have fresh brake fluid if you do come to the event. Your FR will take a TON of abuse @ this track and you'll be braking from very high speeds

Don't forget to check your front brake pads for thickness.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, track the Viper as often as possible. Here i am at New Jersey Motorsports Park.
PAVenomRT/10

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IOM on four wheels - excellent!
I've only ever done it on two wheels, many years ago.
And Mad Sunday - you haven't lived until you've done it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWt0PFbPg4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang