How many Vipers do you think have been destroyed...

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And then you have those that are totalled and brought back from the dead like that guy with that one in his avatar that posts here. Red turned into a blue/white. You know.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought someone on here was tracking all wrecked Vipers and had quite a list. I thought he was even tracking salvage title rebuilt ones too.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, mine will indeed say rebuilt, but the front frame came from a 98' that got really hurt in the back. So, basically two cars are now 1.

I also know at least two cars that were really hurt that have a completely "clean" titles. If you are looking for a car, really check it out and try to have a viper owner/club member help you look at it. I think that dealers can also run VIN and tell you what repairs were done(not sure about this).

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check this one out. Car is supposedly on it lid, but the suspension is in full droop. Looks like a Photoshop job to me.

You must be registered for see images

When a car is upside down and no weight is on the tires the suspension will look similar to if it was upside up with the wheels off the ground (i.e. on a frame hoist). The springs have much more force than the wheel/suspension combo.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard (from my insurance agent) that Viper is the most commonly totalled exotic within the first three month of ownership. Anyone else heard this claim?

Definitely the highest in the first three days of ownership!

I'd go out on a limb and say first three MILES! At least more so than any other exotic.

-----------------------------------------------------------

When i purchased mine the salesman said that most common to be smashed first day of ownership out of the exotics.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Hahahaha, uhhhh, yeah, wheels weigh less than a car. Jeeze >>

I have to agree with you. I saw a viper awhile back without the motor in it. This cars hood was closed and all the body panels were in their proper place.

The suspension on these things is so stiff, that you could not tell the motor was missing by looking at it. It wasn't until someone told me that the motor was missing, that I noticed a SLIGHT front end lift.

Therefore, along with other reasons, I personally do not think the wheels would look like that on one of these cars when upside down.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I must be missing something. The wheels look like they are at the end of the shock travel in the extended direction (upward in this case). Note the huge gaps at the wheel wells.

As far as the lack of damage I have sen 2 that rolled during slow speed manuevers that looked quite a bit like this one.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Therefore, along with other reasons, I personally do not think the wheels would look like that on one of these cars when upside down.

The pic is real. The lighting matches, upside down reflections, I remember seeing the newspaper article that the picture in question is from. Think about it, the weight pushing down on the suspension of a GTS is what, 3100 lbs? What do you think is going to happen when you take that weight off?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at it this way: each corner is supposed to support 1/4th the weight of the car and NOT bottom out, right? Thats something like 3400/4=850 lbs each. Now, how much do you think the wheel and other unsprung pieces weigh - I'll guarantee you that they don't weigh 850 lbs. Therefore, the springs should indeed be mostly extended, although not quite all the way; I'd guess they'd be about 3/4 to 7/8ths extended.

Just my inexpert opinion...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have 125 confirmed VINs with 15 unconfirmed and 74 pictures I have not identified yet. That's from searching for about two years.

Educated guess -
I will say that at least 40% of vipers have had damage.
About 20% have been damaged into totaled status
Only about 5% have been geminately disassembled.

If its any help I know of only four places in the world that will remove a viper from circulation -
PartsRack
Scharfs
ViperParts
There's a guy in Maryville<sp?> IL (may be Viperparts)
And a possible salvager in NY.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wrecked Exotics .com has a couple of photos of other Vipers that crashed and landed upside down. The wheels are almost fully extended towards the sky, and so they have the huge wheel well gaps. They are an unsupported file type, (bit map), so I can't post 'em here.

here's one

here's the other

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a car is upside down and no weight is on the tires the suspension will look similar to if it was upside up with the wheels off the ground (i.e. on a frame hoist). The springs have much more force than the wheel/suspension combo.
Must be because my car has Eibach lowering springs, but once you jack it it even a small amount the springs are no longer lifing any weight and at full droop you can move them around by hand. But with longer stock springs that makes sense. Those really look popped up, but the other pics posted support that indeed the stock spring are slam-extending the shocks when you do a Bo and Luke jumping manuever. Great catch guys.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Must be because my car has Eibach lowering springs, but once you jack it it even a small amount the springs are no longer lifing any weight and at full droop you can move them around by hand. But with longer stock springs that makes sense. Those really look popped up, but the other pics posted support that indeed the stock spring are slam-extending the shocks when you do a Bo and Luke jumping manuever. Great catch guys.

Did you just say that with your shorter spring, you experience droop when you jack it a little? :eek:

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a site that will tell the numbers the number of vipers by year and model?

That website with the wrecked vipers was a little disconcerting.... don't think I want to let anyone drive mine now. lol

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Allegedly it's 17%. (from a source known to us all, Skip T.)

Yep, thats what we were told at Thunder Hill by Skip, 17% of all registered Vipers are totaled. There was quite a bit of clapping afterwards :D . Skip was trying to get the point across that owners who want to push the limits of their cars should attend Viper Days to learn the car. 17% sounds plausible, Viper owners (especially ones on this forum) drive thier cars the way they were meant to be driven, sh*t happens when you push the limits. Hopefully, the rate of Viper owners being totaled is a lot less than 17%.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960