How much break-in before drag racing?

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many miles of street driving up and down through the RPM range should a new Viper be driven before being taken to the dragstrip? :D

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't really know the necessary break-in miles, but I personally would probably put bare minimum 500 to 1,000 on the car before running it hard. Just my opinion, somebody else whom is better informed may differ greatly.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question - and I really wish someone would publish the definitive way to break in a Viper. I've talked to people who have said everything from baby it under 4000 RPMs at various engine/road speeds for 1000 miles to 'drive it like you stole it' the minute you get off the dealer lot.

For every new car I've owned, I've gone the babying route - changed engine oil/filter at 600 miles, driven conservatively up to around 1000 or 1200 miles, changed the oil/filter again, and from that point forward it was open season. I've had engines last longer than the rest of the car, and none of my cars burn oil, so it seemed to have worked OK.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres never been a real definitive answer on this..............................................

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All of the high performace engines I have had go straight on the dyno and run as hard as the ever will be. Just go right away and seat the rings in right. One of my Vipers I have now had less then 100 miles on the engine before I had it on the dyno. That car uses less oil than any other Viper I have had.

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the high performace engines I have had go straight on the dyno and run as hard as the ever will be. Just go right away and seat the rings in right. One of my Vipers I have now had less then 100 miles on the engine before I had it on the dyno. That car uses less oil than any other Viper I have had.

The method you mentioned (right or wrong) addresses breaking the motor in. There are other parts to consider, such as the rear end.

As someone previously mentioned this topic generates a wide variety of answers. My father always broke his race cars in hard. Manufacturer recommendations contradict this method though.

I wish there was a scientifically supported answer to this question.

vipernut94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several years ago my 96 GTS had an oil leak, and the problem resulted in a complete rebuild under warranty. When I picked my car up from my dealer (Roanoke Motors) on December 3, 2003, they printed the Engine Break-In Procedures for me. I recently pulled these out to look at them - prior to picking up my ACR in a couple of months (I hope!!!).

It reads as follows:

NO: 09-04-00
SUBJECT: Replacement Engine Break-In Procedure
DATE: Feb 25, 2000
Discussion:

The following break-in procedure is suggested for any NEW Viper engine. Share this information with your customers as needed.

During the first 1000 miles (1610km):

1. Avoid long periods of engine idling.
2. Wait until the engine has reached operating temperatures before driving enthusiastically.
3. Check the engine oil level at each fuel fill since a new engine may consume some oil during the first few thousand miles (this is normal and not a sign of an engine problem).
4. Keep vehicle speed below 70 mph (113km/h).
5. Do not make any full throttle starts or full throttle accelerations.
6. Avoid driving at a constant engine rpm for long periods as follows:

- First 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 2500 rpm. In addition, it is suggested to change the engine oil within the first 200 miles of engine break-in.

- Second 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 3500 rpm.

- Third 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 4000 rpm.

- Fourth 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 4500 rpm.

- Fifth 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 5000 rpm

Hope this helps. It was an amazing coicidence that I ended up at a race track at 1001 miles!

Scott

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several years ago my 96 GTS had an oil leak, and the problem resulted in a complete rebuild under warranty. When I picked my car up from my dealer (Roanoke Motors) on December 3, 2003, they printed the Engine Break-In Procedures for me. I recently pulled these out to look at them - prior to picking up my ACR in a couple of months (I hope!!!).

It reads as follows:

NO: 09-04-00
SUBJECT: Replacement Engine Break-In Procedure
DATE: Feb 25, 2000
Discussion:

The following break-in procedure is suggested for any NEW Viper engine. Share this information with your customers as needed.

During the first 1000 miles (1610km):

1. Avoid long periods of engine idling.
2. Wait until the engine has reached operating temperatures before driving enthusiastically.
3. Check the engine oil level at each fuel fill since a new engine may consume some oil during the first few thousand miles (this is normal and not a sign of an engine problem).
4. Keep vehicle speed below 70 mph (113km/h).
5. Do not make any full throttle starts or full throttle accelerations.
6. Avoid driving at a constant engine rpm for long periods as follows:

- First 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 2500 rpm. In addition, it is suggested to change the engine oil within the first 200 miles of engine break-in.

- Second 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 3500 rpm.

- Third 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 4000 rpm.

- Fourth 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 4500 rpm.

- Fifth 200 mile interval (322km), light throttle run-ups shifting at a maximum of 5000 rpm

Hope this helps. It was an amazing coicidence that I ended up at a race track at 1001 miles!

Scott

I think I'll give that one a try this time around!