how much of a power gain from minimal mods?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah around 10 - 12 RWHP from just tubes and filters.

BTW S&B filters are a bit better.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered smooth tubes and a pair of K&Ns. Any idea of how much rwhp I'll gain?
I put K&N's on my '95 between dyno runs (while it was still strapped to the dyno), and I got 11 hp peak, and pretty much all across the curve. I put smooth tubes on that car, later, so no idea as to the gains due to smooth tubes. I imagine they have a similar effect on a Gen II car. (Although, I do note that they make the second gen intake "squeak" or whistle under partial throttle).

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malcoll, you still in Columbus? We need to get a group together for a cruise soon.

I assume you're asking about the comment on S&B being better? According to Sean Roe, they have deeper pleats and more surface area not only within each pleat but side to side as well because the "frame" on the edge is less restrictive.

I installed them and it dropped my 1/4 mile ET by a full second. :D I'm sure if they really do flow more, we're talking 1 hp or so. I haven't seen any hard data but Roe does claim they flow more. The differences are obvious if you lay them (K&N) side by side.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malcoll, you still in Columbus? We need to get a group together for a cruise soon.

I assume you're asking about the comment on S&B being better? According to Sean Roe, they have deeper pleats and more surface area not only within each pleat but side to side as well because the "frame" on the edge is less restrictive.

I installed them and it dropped my 1/4 mile ET by a full second. :D I'm sure if they really do flow more, we're talking 1 hp or so. I haven't seen any hard data but Roe does claim they flow more. The differences are obvious if you lay them (K&N) side by side.

Exactly, Thanks, I beena little busy and have not been on the site a in a little while.

Also there was a post back (I believe by Mike Adams) where he found an issue with the use of the K&N's.