How much room for a bigger guy?

Squints2See

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Im new to the forums and have been doing some searching of the site to find some answers in regards to possibly purchasing a Viper. Im looking for a Gen II GTS and as a larger guy, (6'-1" 290#) I was wondering if I would fit and be comfortable in a GTS? I plan on being about 250# when I pull the trigger in the spring.

I have narrowed down to the Viper or a C6 Vette. Any thoughts comparing the two? Either one of these cars will be much more in HP and torque than any previous vehicles I have ever had, and I do not plan on modding them. If anyone here has ever owned or driven both, I would love to here some feedback. I know this is a Viper forum, so I expect a bias.

Also, how bad is the cost of maintenance of a Viper versus a Vette?

Thanks for any help you all can give....

Todd

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a guy about your size that has a GTS. Is he comfortable? Have no idea. Does he fit in there? Seen him in the car, doing the speed limit too. :D

I'm 6-4 210 and could not imagine trying to get in and out of that car without the added agility of being thin. But to each his/her own.

Oh... And we're not buying that "no plan on modding" crap. :lmao:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
America's Strongest Man (and 2nd Strongest Man In The World) is Derek Poundstone. He comes in at 6'1" and about 310#.
And he fits in a Viper.
:D

He's a member on the forum here.
Toss him a PM.
He's a very cool guy.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not how big of a guy you are, it's how much of a whimp you are. If you whine about noises and nannies and crappy stereos and plastic interiors and AC blowing in the wrong spots and shaking transmissions with taller than present day sticks then the Viper isn't for you.

If 488cid, big fat tires and lotsa fun are important to you then the Viper is for you.

NO KIDZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
6'4" 320 lbs 2" lowered seat. Can drive all day without any problems other than my knee hitting the light switch. My size 14 feet are harder to fit in the viper than my big ***!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly, the feet are the hardest part to deal with.

IIRC, sunrakat is 6'-5" and over 300 and he fits in his as well.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'1" and 240. No problem in a gen 3. I might lower the seat
1" when I get the chance though. There is a technique for getting in. Put your right foot in first then sit and bring your other foot in. Never been in a GTS.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is funny... I was going to start a thread like this... My buddy is 6'4' 370lb. When I get my Viper I don't even think he will try to get in...

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My little brother is 6'7" and 310 lbs. He went and looked at an RT/10 for me when I was searching. The owner called me in hysterics as my brother left the shop in the Viper. He said he looked just like Lurch from the Munsters driving down the road. My brother's head was about 8 inches higher than the roof bar. He couldn't of gotten in it with the top on. My brother and I are still laughing at that memory. He is now paralyzed from the chest down due to a cancerous tumor that invaded his spine. Dr's got most of it and said he may regain some feeling once he completely heals. He just had a custom power wheel chair fitted for himself. Cost.....$24,000.00 Had a heluva good insurance policy.
I'm glad I asked him to check the car out for me. He said it was a thrill of a lifetime.
Even a seat lowering kit wouldn't of done any good so if you're that tall good luck.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hairdresser wanted a ride when I got my Viper. She's about 5' 8" and weighs about 260. She got in fine but her burro was so big and wide we couldn't get the pasenger door closed!!!! No lie. She never got a ride. So if you're are not too wide in the aft area you'll be fine.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maintainence cost is minial with the viper. Just regular oil change and trans, diff, etc and your good. Ive heard the Vettes have more issues with parts failing but I have no first hand experience.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not how big of a guy you are, it's how much of a whimp you are. If you whine about noises and nannies and crappy stereos and plastic interiors and AC blowing in the wrong spots and shaking transmissions with taller than present day sticks then the Viper isn't for you.

If 488cid, big fat tires and lotsa fun are important to you then the Viper is for you.

Well said!

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fairly new owner of a 2001 GTS here. I'm 6'3" and 210lbs. I'll give you a good break-down of how I "fit" in a stock Viper (no seat lowering kit):

Getting in and out of the car is typical for a sports car...after a dozen times, you've got it down. The car has plenty of headroom....although I haven't tried it yet, I'm willing to bet I could squeeze my melon in there with a helmet on and still be reasonably comfortable. Knees are a bit tight against the dashboard and I have to hunch a bit at stop lights and also when getting a good view to the left. All of these items I believe will be cured with a seat lowering kit (I have a 2" on my Christmas list).

I drove my buddy's C6 Z06 just before purchasing my Viper. I won't lie, it's a fine car. Very comfortable, quiet, lots of doo-dads on the inside, plenty of power, etc. I used to own an LS1 and have respect for LSX motors.

The Viper has always been my choice, though. I like the "rawness" of them, and especially enjoy the exclusivity of them. They're a unique car that nothing else has even come close to.

I can't speak much on the maintenance since I haven't owned mine long. But the post regarding the 120K mile Viper certainly made me feel even better about my purchase!!

OP
OP
S

Squints2See

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys do know about the adjustable pedals

What years have adjustable pedals?

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10

Is the interior quality that bad? Im not expecting to be as nice as the Vette, but I was hoping it's not terrible quality....

And as far as interior room, any difference between the RT and the GTS?

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets just say if that guy could do it, you should be fine after a couple of times with your Viper. :rolaugh:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXyrr6OWd3Y[/media]

:lmao:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6' and weigh 255 lbs right now.... (fluctuate from 230 to 270 depending on time of year) and I fit just fine, but it is a lot more snug than a C6 (just sold my blown C6 for a GTS).

No dead pedal in the GTS and the pedals are closer together. What is more comfortable? The C6....

My best advice is to test drive them each and see which one you prefer. If you are nearly 300 lbs and are going to use the car as a daily driver, get the vette.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'4" and 260 here. I was around 278 at one point. The Viper is fine for me, though I did put a seat lowering kit in to help with the headroom. Forget the vette, you won't regret it. The Viper is an entirely different beast.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the GTS has a higher roof. The "double bubble" signature roof is designed for racing helmets and is higher for that reason. The windshield top is a little low, but leaning forward will allow you to see the traffic lights. I 'sit' 6'4" (tall body with shorter legs) 165# and built my stock seat track to a 1" lower height and documented how to lower the seat/seats 1.75" in the Illustrated Upgradeds (members only forum).

Don't really need to see that much sky, but lowering the seat makes the vision much more normal.

If you buy a vette, get some ugly color so you can find it in parking lots.

Ted

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What years have adjustable pedals?

not sure about gen 1's but gen 2 and after pedals adj for and aft - glad i knew this when i bought mine

Is the interior quality that bad? Im not expecting to be as nice as the Vette, but I was hoping it's not terrible quality....

i like the interior, but i came from 2 suv's to the viper. don't expect mb sl interior, but it is not bad. remember the viper is a street legal race car, not a luxury sports car. i think the viper leather is better than most vets, overall different feel, but overall about equal :eater:

And as far as interior room, any difference between the RT and the GTS?

only behind the seats, unless you count the infinite head room of an r/t when the top is off (and rear glass out of course) :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, I usually restrain myself from saying anything bad about other's car choices, but I just couldn't resist this time. I wanted to make comments about the skinnier vette tires and how a vette can be upgraded with the Tires invented for a Viper if you buy bigger rims ... and I wanted to point out that the vettes usually get the Dodge transmission improvements on some vettes, at least the vettes and Shelby GT500s that come with the 6 speeds that were designed for Vipers ... but I RESTRAINED myself.

You know they're built better when they adapted Dodge transmissions, use the Pilot Sport 2s on their ZR1s, etc.

OOooooops

Ted

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score

As nice as the Vette? Corvette interior is a horrid plastic-laden array of congestion. Calling it tacky would be a compliment. Viper interiors are dead simple, but they look better, and I don't think even the most vehement detractor would consider them tacky.

Neither car has what one would call a 'nice' interior. For nice interiors, get an Aston-Martin.

I don't dislike Vettes, but I would never own one. Actually, allow me to rephrase. I would never own a current model. I'd love a C2 vert in good condition.

They are decent cars and fit their target market very well; it's perfect for middle to upper middle class 40-something guys with wives and kids.

The Viper is not in the same class. Aside from them both being 2-seater cars built by American companies, they don't have much else in common.

So, in summary, for a fast 2-seater family car, get the Vette. For a genuine American sports car, get the Viper. :headbang:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As nice as the Vette? Corvette interior is a horrid plastic-laden array of congestion. Calling it tacky would be a compliment.
:rolaugh: I thought "nice" was a funny choice of word too. Sitting in a Vette feels like sitting in an Impala. Not the kind of feeling one should have when sitting in a sports car.